Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am a new first time puppy owner (adorable 2 months old minie doxie). It might be too early to complain (I got her this Friday), but I have hard time crate and potty training. Crate training is hard because she doesn't like eating much. When she does it's from my hand mostly.
Last night I put her in crate and she was quiet for about 4 hours, after that whined, which I mistook for attention but she went potty there twice. After the accidents I let her out, but after couple of hours, another accident. I am at my
She also whines when left in fenced off den, and even knocked it down.
Do you have any tips how to crate break and potty train picky eater and very stubborn mini doxie.

Any advice is more than welcome.

Thanks a lot.

MiniDoxie hopeful Mom

·
Registered
518 Posts
First the crate needs to be small enough that she can only lie down and turn around in it.

Second, at that age she won't be able to hold it for long.. take her out every 20 minutes at least, after every nap, after eating. Keep an eye on her constantly and if she starts to sniff around, take her outside. Praise like crazy when she goes outside, if she starts to pee inside interrupt her and take her outside (never yell or punish).

At night honestly I'd put your alarm on every 2-3 hours and let her out too. No playing, just out to pee, praise, and back in crate.

Feed her in her crate, make it special by putting a kong with peanut butter or cream cheese in it too (tiny puppy so just a bit of pb - just make sure it doesn't have xylitol).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much Francl27. She has small crate, but because of her not eating or sleeping I have hard time making her go inside. She is up most of the times. I took her yesterday to the vet and nothing is wrong with her, he said she is just adjusting, but it is so tiresome for me. She likes to follow me around and lays on carpet in living room or in some corners. If I let her all over the apartment I don't see the signs when she wants to relief herself.And she did plenty of that for these two days. I am beginning to see how ill prepared I am for new puppy. I read that they sleep most of the time, but this one is just fireball of energy, never tires although eats very little (she is 3.7 lb).

Thanks again for the tips.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Try calming her so she gets sleepy, my dog was never crate trained & would only sleep cuddled up on me for the first 2 yrs. One day she got into her bed & nodded off- to my absolute surprise. She would stay awake while I was out & yawn sleep the minute I got back. I had people telling me- she'll sleep while your out & in her bed- but she didnt. same thing sitting looking at everything & play crazy all day. She would get so tired she would actually shake- this worried me as they need sleep for development. Hence I wrapped her in a blanky & rocked her & sang to her & she'd nod off. This is still her pref but she will sleep in my bed while I'm out for the last 2 years. This bonded us a lot more than a crate ☺ You could try both- settle her & then transfer her into her bed if you like.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.