Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She is scared to be outside she uses it and wants to come right back in if anyone tries to touch her she freaks out and tries to get away. I can't get her to want to stay outside she wants inside the whole time. On and off leash. Once she pees or poops she pulls to get inside

·
Registered
562 Posts
Could it be one of your 15 or so other dogs (or cats?) are intimidating? She's also probably more than a little on edge because of her ongoing flea problem.

She didn't have fleas when we took her because I had already treated her she stopped itching for about 2 weeks and started back. Our other dog had fleas until we treated her. My mom plans on treating the house once we get the money it's about 50$ for the house alone. But the yard will be hard cz all the dogs and cats around we have 6 pit bulls 2 chihuahuas a pug a ****zu mix a border collie and a mastiff mix there's also about 30 cats around the neighborhood 5 pit bulls and 20 cats live at one house and they never treat for fleas
Just out of curiosity, are you guys on a farm? Do you have some kind of staff or are you running a kennel or something?

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One neighbor across the street has 20 chickens 2 ducks 2 turkeys 20 cats and 6 pit bulls. My other neighbor owns a pug the other neighbor owns 2 chihuahuas and a ****z zu mix my other neighbor has one pit bull another neighbor has a mastiff mix another one has a border collie and last one has a pit bull and a chihuahua I only have 2 dogs Bella and a papillon none of the other dogs are in our yard when I take Bella outside

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Some dogs are just like that I think...naturally timid. When you are outside with her, does she seem as eager to get in?

I have a golden retriever who doesn't like it outside either....unless I'm standing there...but even then on warmer days, he runs out does his thing and then comes right back on the porch wanting in...where the air conditioner is at work. I think he just wants to be with people though most of the time more than he wants to be outside. If left out he will bark and act distressed, trotting back and forth from the porch to an area of the fence where my dogs can see my car if I leave.

Oddly enough, at night, when it's dark...he loves it out there and won't bark at all, he goes out willingly and will lay out there for hours without barking. Maybe all that space just scares him. He did spend a lot of time in an indoor environment between the ages of 1 and 2 before I adopted him. He was in the care of the local animal shelter and because he's slightly retarded, they didn't let him mingle with the other dogs, as sometimes dogs will attack a dog they feel are kind of 'off'.

Maybe something like that is going on with your pup...too much space to deal with...and/or there's a need to see a human around. Also, she might have had a bad experience outside. I once had a dog and a bumblebee chased her around the yard when she was a pup, it scared her witless. She would go outside fine, but the first sound of a buzz...she ran for the door wanting in.

As for the other fear. I will suggest this as it worked with an almost feral dog that I have. If you dog is fearful, don't let anyone reach out and try to pet her....you will just train her to duck away.

Instead, get some kibble or dog treats, and when you notice she comes towards you...drop one and ignore her. That is her reward for coming towards you on her own terms. After time you can then use food to coax her to you...once you see she's more relaxed in being around you. It would help if everyone in the house did this. Being a puppy she might have a change of heart pretty quick about coming to people....unlike my dog who was 5 years old when I got her. She will come to me willingly now if I hold out a treat and take it from my hands, but she still won't let me pet her. But at least she doesn't run from me now if I look at her

Stormy

·
Registered
562 Posts
How old is your puppy? When Nevy was very young (10 weeks) she didn't want to be outside either! She grew out of it though. Sometimes puppies can just be unsure of new things or go through fear periods. :) Just reassure her and make outside a super positive place!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.