Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
My fiancé and I adopted our standard-size Golden Doodle (Penelope) when she was 8 weeks old from a reputable breeder, last November. We met both of her parents, who were both wonderfully tempered. She is now 11 months old. When we first brought her home, it was immediately apparent that she was shy of strangers as well as timid in general. She was the puppy in play group who would hide in the corner when overwhelmed (which she easily was.) When approached by strangers, she would cower, hide, or run in the opposite direction. We understood the importance of socialization and made sure she was exposed to new situations and people appropriately. As she has gotten a little bit older, her fear of strangers has progressed to her barking at strangers. She is fine around groups of strangers and on the street, but when someone wants to pet or approach her she will now bark at them and back away (instead of just quietly hide.) She has been through many puppy obedience classes and has seen 2 dog behavioralists for this issue. She loves other dogs, but is generally very shy and submissive. When meeting a new dog, she will typically roll over onto her back and wag her tail as if to say "look how sweet and non-threatening I am; be my friend!" We are continuously working on building her confidence and tolerance in general, but I myself have started to become hesitant about taking her out due to her barky-ness around strangers. She is a big girl now (50lbs), and can scare people with her bark/low growl. Has anyone had a similar issue or have any other insight that a behavioralist might have missed? Help!

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

How have you been working with her around people?
What do you do when people try to prt her?
How are you doing introductions with people?
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 2 of 2 Posts