Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Boxer/Pointer mix. His mother is a little on the small side for a pointer, and his father from what I can tell, is a pretty decent sized Boxer (only saw him a few times at a distant, since he is a stray). He was growing very well at a steady pace up until 6 months. He hit 41 pounds, and just stopped. It's now month 9 and he has put on absolutely no weight since 6 months. I knew every dog has their own pace of growth, but this just seems too early, and too small for him to have stopped growing. Do you think maybe he will hit a late growth spurt, or is he done? He looks so tiny for a Boxer mix. Most Boxapoints I see are quite a bit larger than he is. He only comes up to my knees in height...

What do you people think?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yeah a lot of dogs will have a late growth spurt. My Rotty is almost 3 and had a huge growth spurt just this year. Give it some time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maybe give him a few more months and he'll take off growing again.

I've had the similar thing happen, granted both dogs are lap dogs, Spunky grew up quickly. Shania stopped growing for a few months then shot right back up rather quickly and she was done growing.

There's also a possibility that he has stopped growing, all you can do though is just wait and see.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts