Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
Recently my 8-mo corgi puppy Bindi has been snapping at 2-yo Brownie, my brother's dog.
Once or twice there was an obvious reason, but usually I can't see why Bindi is doing it.
And it's almost like a canine temper tantrum. She'll suddenly start making a snarling/yelping sound (like she's angry) while snapping at Brownie's face. Brownie just gets scared by it and runs away, and Bindi almost immediately gets over it and even tries to 'make up'.
The only sense I can make of it is if the whole dominance theory is true, then Bindi is at the age that she's establishing dominance. Even then, though, Brownie shows dominance in pretty much all other areas.
But I'm not so sure about that theory (opinions on that would be great too :) ) in which case. . . Bindi is just behaving poorly? She is a bit spoiled, I admit, though we're working on that. (I don't really spoil her, but I have a hard time controlling her)
Any help appreciated. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree that the dominance theory may be the reason because maybe Bindi feels that Brownie is in her territory thus warning Brownie to stay back, but this is just one theory:)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Dominant theory isn't true, it has been debunked. Even the person who first came up with it says they were wrong. It was based on a artificial captive wolf pack and the way they fought over resources. Natural packs don't act like this. And more importantly wolves and dogs have different behaviors. They act and learn differently. There are links in the training section of this forum if you want to learn about it.

Remember corgies are herders, and they do that by nipping. And some dogs are very vocal when they play, even sounding aggressive. But they are just playing. You dog is getting to an age where they act like brats and forget all manners and training. Without seeing the behavior that is my guess. If she acts like this I'd calmly leash her and take her away. Your other dog doesn't sound like he likes this, give him an escape. I have a similar problem with two of my dogs. Freyja wants to play with Vegas. He doesn't like to play and she jumps all over him. When she starts acting up I try to redirect her, leash her or put them on opposite sides of a baby gate til she calms down.

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!
Good to know about the dominance theory. I had heard it was debunked but there are so many people still teaching it! And TrampolineBoxer as you said it makes sense in this case. I guess it doesn't in almost any other area, though, with our dogs.
Oh Bindi is certainly a herder. . . her and Brownie play a lot and she always nips at Brownie's heels. They are pretty vocal when playing, but I think this is something different because a) it's new and b) Bindi does it at random times, when they aren't playing, and sounds really unhappy. And it scares Brownie.
I can totally just see her being at an age where she acts like a brat, though. :)

Thanks for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts