Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

so recently I've noticed comet sitting funny especially if he is sitting against walls or something. I am a little paranoid about hip dysplasia as I know labs are prone to it and also we got him from a not so great breeder that didn't test the parents.

My question is does this look like it would be a reason to take him to the vet or does it look like normal puppy behavior?

He also has a "wiggle butt" when he walks but its not overly dramatic I don't think and he doesn't "bunny hop" when he runs.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
My parents Weimaraner sat like that a lot as a puppy and both our pitties do as well from time to time and we haven't seen any issues from them. It seems pretty common in larger dogs, when they're puppies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
A simple X-ray will tell for sure whether hip dysplasia is present or not. Even if he has it, making sure he gets regular exercise. Neighbors Lab has hip dysplasia, daily walks and regular exercise has kept her going for years.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I agree. Something to have your vet take a look at. But I see that "sloppy puppy sit" a lot in classes. Assuming vet says everything is fine, consistent reward placement for sits (high, causing nose to point at ceiling and front laws to just lift off ground) will help fix it. That placement requires the dog to sit upright and have feet tucked in order to balance while stretching up.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
254 Posts
My dog is 10, no hip displasia but still sits in the most awkward way ever. As long as the vet can rule it out, it wouldn't be anything to worry about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts