Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been a longtime dog owner but my dog is a rescue that was spayed so have no clue whats normal mother and puppy behavior.
I have a neighbor with 3 new puppies that are about 5 weeks old and yesterday noticed the mother has seperated one puppy from the other 2.
I can see her feeding this lone pup, the smallest of the 3 so is not entirely abandoned.
Is this normal? I wouldn't call my neighbors the best owners by a far cry, they leave the dogs outside pretty much 24/7 all year.

Mainly looking for info to pass along and have a solid basis for calling a rescue shelter if care is not provided.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Think I know why puppy is being seperated, she has a deformed front paw.
Any suggestions I can give to owner?

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
The pup may have other more serious health problems. Sometimes dams will abandon a puppy and remove it from the litter. The fact that she's still allowing the puppy to nurse is good but may not mean the pup will survive. You could suggest they take the pup to a vet but it doesn't sound like that's likely. They could hand feed the pup if they were willing to learn how and to buy the necessary formula.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply! To me, puppy seemed healthy. Little undersized and a club foot. Owner is dealing with new grandchild so I will offer to hand feed for awhile and see how it goes. If I see neglet, I'll suggest a rescue shelter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts