Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we have just got our 10 week old English Springer puppy and so far he has been so good. He's proving exceptionally smart and his training is coming on leaps and bounds. However I'm having trouble when trying to train him to walk on a lead. He's fine one minute and the next it's unnatural screaming at the top of his lungs. I've been working with him for a little while this afternoon and he is improving but wondering if anyone has any advice for this sort of thing? I'm worried when we take him out people will think we are hurting him when really we are doing nothing at all, just waiting for him to stop.

At the moment when he does start screaming its blind panic, but I don't see any evidence of fear it's more like "get it off me". Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I'm not a trainer, just a regular dog owner, but if that happened to me I would have him spend a lot of time inside (with me there) with a leash on, just dragging it around as he walked.
Every time I touched the leash he would get a treat. We would watch TV together and the leash would be on. Because of the risk that the leash might get caught up somewhere he would not wear it while I was not there.
After a week or so while the leash was on I'd hold onto it while he was eating.
After another few days I'd walk around the house with him on the leash and as he walked with me he would get treats.
Then I'd try walking him outside, again with treats every few minutes.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Lucille has it right. Just one caveat, maybe use a rope instead. If the leash loop handle gets caught up on something, the dog will likely freak again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your idea! I will definitely try to incorporate that. We managed to get the screaming to stop by just kneeling down and encouraging him to come to us and not try to pull the collar off and then we gave him a treat. Which really seems to work! He is happy to walk now :) He had a quick turn around haha! Thank you both for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.