Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella is 5 1/2 months old, Ever since i got her at 9 weeks old she has been petrified of going outside. As soon as you get her outside she wants in. Sometimes I can't even get her to go outside to potty I hook her on her outdoor cable she won't leave the steps just turns around and runs right back in. Same with trying to walk her on a leash I get outside and she pulls and pulls back towards the door. She is a hyper dog and I know she needs excercise but she is just to scared I can't leave the yard with her. I'm lucky If I can even get her off the front porch. Some times I have to drag her outside. I am having a hard time house training her and I think this is the issue because she is so scared of going outside she just won't go outside. I've never known a dog to be like this. The whole time we are outside she is pulling for her life trying to get inside and just completely panicking ive tried treats when outside tried getting her to play everything but all she wants is to get back inside. I can be sitting outside with her and all she does is scratch at the door to get inside.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Bella is 5 1/2 months old, Ever since i got her at 9 weeks old she has been petrified of going outside. As soon as you get her outside she wants in. Sometimes I can't even get her to go outside to potty I hook her on her outdoor cable she won't leave the steps just turns around and runs right back in. Same with trying to walk her on a leash I get outside and she pulls and pulls back towards the door. She is a hyper dog and I know she needs excercise but she is just to scared I can't leave the yard with her. I'm lucky If I can even get her off the front porch. Some times I have to drag her outside. I am having a hard time house training her and I think this is the issue because she is so scared of going outside she just won't go outside. I've never known a dog to be like this. The whole time we are outside she is pulling for her life trying to get inside and just completely panicking ive tried treats when outside tried getting her to play everything but all she wants is to get back inside. I can be sitting outside with her and all she does is scratch at the door to get inside.
You need to get the dog far away from the house, and into the middle of a field with no shelter. Then you have to play with her, but not until she is outdoors and far away from home.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
You need to get the dog far away from the house, and into the middle of a field with no shelter. Then you have to play with her, but not until she is outdoors and far away from home.
That's flooding the dog and it could very well result in the dog shutting down and being to afraid to do anything.

Flooding Therapy for Dogs is an old technique that must only be done properly, i
How to Help Shy, Anxious, or Fearful Dogs | Nicole Wilde Books and DVDs for Dog Trainers and Dog Lovers
https://fearfuldogs.wordpress.com/2009/06/19/five-golden-rules-for-working-with-fearful-dogs-by-nicole-wilde/
Pet Education: How Do I Fix My Scared and Nervous Dog?

Reactions: Red and Grabby

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Good lord, please don't do that. That could very well result in her being terrified of YOU. I think you need to start leashing her, and walk towards the door. As soon as she puts on her breaks, stop walking. That is her limit. Give her lots of treats, then take off her leash and let her do what she wants. Practice a couple times a day, and you should see some improvement.

As far as potty training, is it possible to train her on pads for the time being? The only other option would be to carry her out on leash, put her down, let her pee/poop and carry her back in.

These would be my suggestions, but I've never owned a fearful dog, so hopefully other members can weigh in with their experiences.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Good lord, please don't do that. That could very well result in her being terrified of YOU. I think you need to start leashing her, and walk towards the door. As soon as she puts on her breaks, stop walking. That is her limit. Give her lots of treats, then take off her leash and let her do what she wants. Practice a couple times a day, and you should see some improvement.

As far as potty training, is it possible to train her on pads for the time being? The only other option would be to carry her out on leash, put her down, let her pee/poop and carry her back in.

These would be my suggestions, but I've never owned a fearful dog, so hopefully other members can weigh in with their experiences.
So do not do anything because the dog might be afraid of you? There is one way to learn to ride a bike, and that is to pedal, take the dog to the park and have some fun is all I am saying, keeping the dog housebound will only make things worse. Do you think that parks are bad for dogs?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
So do not do anything because the dog might be afraid of you? There is one way to learn to ride a bike, and that is to pedal, take the dog to the park and have some fun is all I am saying, keeping the dog housebound will only make things worse. Do you think that parks are bad for dogs?
Not at all, I regularly take my dogs to the park, and they have a great time. However, my dogs weren't afraid of other dogs/the outdoors, so they were well-adjusted in the baby-steps that I took. My Aussie has recently developed a fear of sewer grates, for whatever reason, so we are working on it, slowly. I'm not going to drag him on there, and hold him on there until he gets over it. He'll never want to walk with me again.

I also did not recommend keeping Bella in the house. She should take her outside, but it needs to be step by step. Bella already has some fear issues, and the OP is working hard to resolve those issues.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Not at all, I regularly take my dogs to the park, and they have a great time. However, my dogs weren't afraid of other dogs/the outdoors, so they were well-adjusted in the baby-steps that I took. My Aussie has recently developed a fear of sewer grates, for whatever reason, so we are working on it, slowly. I'm not going to drag him on there, and hold him on there until he gets over it. He'll never want to walk with me again.

I also did not recommend keeping Bella in the house. She should take her outside, but it needs to be step by step. Bella already has some fear issues, and the OP is working hard to resolve those issues.
Being afraid of sewer grates is not the same as urinating and defecating in the house all day because the owner is afraid to have this dog face it's fears. This can actually become a health dept issue, which is why the owner is asking for help. Some of the fears here are the owners. As I remember the first day I had my dog, I had to tug her a little bit in he park, the next day she ran free in the park. Freedom is a great thing, everyone likes it, so as I said take the dog to the park and let it go, which means no dragging.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Unfortunately, a one size-fits-all approach doesn't really work with dog training. I believe Bella has also had some issues with being afraid of people in the past, so I think taking her somewhere where there is the opportunity for her to be approached by many people and dogs would be counter-productive for her right now. It's good that your dog loves the park so quickly, not all dogs would feel the same way.

Back to the topic at hand - for the exercise @Bryansgirl what kind of obedience stuff are you working on with her right now?

Reactions: Red

·
Banned
45 Posts
Unfortunately, a one size-fits-all approach doesn't really work with dog training. I believe Bella has also had some issues with being afraid of people in the past, so I think taking her somewhere where there is the opportunity for her to be approached by many people and dogs would be counter-productive for her right now. It's good that your dog loves the park so quickly, not all dogs would feel the same way.

Back to the topic at hand - for the exercise @Bryansgirl what kind of obedience stuff are you working on with her right now?
All the owner does is clean her floors and carpet all day long, then try not be frustrated. There is no time here for training, just do it, and do it now. The dog WILL NOT get used to being outdoors, by being told that staying indoors is ok. It's that simple, and again if this bad habit can not be broken, this will be the stinkiest house anywhere.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I had this problem at first when we'd first had Sam. We fixed it via dragging all his security stuff outside too, like his bed and his toys, and then sitting around outside with him until he went to his bed, then from there coaxed him into play and relaxing. Sammy is not a good example to use, I admit, he was not healthy. But possibly it might work with Bella.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
The dog is already afraid to do anything, and the owner is afraid to do anything about it.

Did you read the links I provided?

I have a dog that is fearful of people. My friend raised him and had no idea how to deal with his fearfulness so she never prevented anyone from handling him while he was afraid. The end result is that by the time she gave him to me when he was a year old he had already began barking and lunging at people because the flooding had taught him that his human was not going to protect him, and no one listened to his more subtle signs of fear.

That's what flooding can get you. What could happen with Bella is that she learns that she should actively fight having a leash put on because leash means she's going to be taken to a large field where she's terrified and has no safe place to go. When a dog is fearful they are incapable of having fun, if they are really fearful then they will not except treats. They are sort of like us in that, if you are fearful of spiders and find yourself in a room full of them do you fell like playing, are you going to want to eat your favorite treat if it's offered to you?

Most of the links I provided have tips on dealing with fear in addition to explaining why flooding is not good. The last link I provided included this link in it that explains how to help a dog get used to being walked Dog does not want to go for walks - Puddin's Training Tips

·
Registered
156 Posts
Flooding training is not good for very scared dogs. Take it from someone with a dog who is easily scared.

I'm thinking feed her outside, she doesn't have to be outside the first time, just eating inside by the open door, then when she is used to that move the food outside, just outside the door so she can still keep all four feet inside, when she used to that, the food is moved so she has to put her 2 front feet outside the door to eat, once she used to that the bowl is moved a little farther so all 4 feet are outside and so on, every time she gets used to how much she has to move outside the door, the food is moved a little farther outside. Always make sure the door is open so if she is scared she can move back inside.

·
Banned
45 Posts
Did you read the links I provided?

I have a dog that is fearful of people. My friend raised him and had no idea how to deal with his fearfulness so she never prevented anyone from handling him while he was afraid. The end result is that by the time she gave him to me when he was a year old he had already began barking and lunging at people because the flooding had taught him that his human was not going to protect him, and no one listened to his more subtle signs of fear.

That's what flooding can get you. What could happen with Bella is that she learns that she should actively fight having a leash put on because leash means she's going to be taken to a large field where she's terrified and has no safe place to go. When a dog is fearful they are incapable of having fun, if they are really fearful then they will not except treats. They are sort of like us in that, if you are fearful of spiders and find yourself in a room full of them do you fell like playing, are you going to want to eat your favorite treat if it's offered to you?

Most of the links I provided have tips on dealing with fear in addition to explaining why flooding is not good. The last link I provided included this link in it that explains how to help a dog get used to being walked Dog does not want to go for walks - Puddin's Training Tips
This owner will not know until she tries. If she does nothing her house will become unlivable and the dog may need to be removed. The dog needs to go outdoors, and get used to it tomorrow, provided the weather is nice. You are not looking at the problem objectively, which is a sanitary health dept issue, that could have the dog removed by the town. So getting the dog used to the outside tomorrow is advisable. Unless the owner wants to have no carpets and wet floors reeking of urine. This is an emergency, which is why the owner is asking for help. The dog is almost 6 months old, big urine at this point, this has to be stopped while the dog is still young or it will never be stopped. Because the dog will not be the winner, unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
This owner will not know until she tries. If she does nothing her house will become unlivable and the dog may need to be removed. The dog needs to go outdoors, and get used to it tomorrow, provided the weather is nice. You are not looking at the problem objectively, which is a sanitary health dept issue, that could have the dog removed by the town. So getting the dog used to the outside tomorrow is advisable. Unless the owner wants to have no carpets and wet floors reeking of urine. This is an emergency, which is why the owner is asking for help. The dog is almost 6 months old, big urine at this point, this has to be stopped while the dog is still young or it will never be stopped. Because the dog will not be the winner, unfortunately.
@Trailgirl fwiw, the op has had ongoing issues with fearful behavior, reactivity, and housetraining since pretty much day one with this puppy. There are multiple past threads all basically identical.
It's confusing I I totally get that you are new so unfamiliar with the situation, but according to the op, she is able and does take the dog places as she has stated so multiple times in the past...
clearly hasn't helped with housetraining nor made this dog any more comfortable outside....

Anyway @Bryansgirl, I'm really just not sure what to tell you...
Most advice for addressing Bella's fears and tackling housetraining is likely to be similar to past advice. Honestly I think the situation is well past what can be helped via the internet.... time for a pro. I am aware that you have very few trainers in your area. I would do what you need to get Bella to a pro or the pro to you. Or bare minimum look into the online/skype consults with trainers. Iirc I posted links to several good trainers offering this in the past.

Otherwise if really wanting additional help here, you really need to lay out exactly what you are doing (there has been a bunch of conflicting info in your posts which makes it very confusing for people trying to help) as well as be open to people critiquing you. You need to be willing to listen and follow advice exactly. also be willing to admit mistakes so as to troubleshoot and make sure the same mistakes don't continue to happen. And video of your training for these issues with Bella would be fabulous. :)

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She usually goes outside without problems just to potty but then after she potties she wants back in immediately. Only sometimes does she refuse to go outside. If I walk her on a leash she usually will go outside and potty then panic to get back in so it is not a health issue she hasn't pooped in the house in over a month and hasn't peed in the house in 4 days. I should have been more specific. She will go outside to potty most of the time but other then that she hate's being outside.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All the owner does is clean her floors and carpet all day long, then try not be frustrated. There is no time here for training, just do it, and do it now. The dog WILL NOT get used to being outdoors, by being told that staying indoors is ok. It's that simple, and again if this bad habit can not be broken, this will be the stinkiest house anywhere.
I do make her potty outside I do not bring her inside until she potties so she doesn't potty in the house unless I don't take her out in time she just doesn't like to go outside and after she potties panics to get inside.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Every once in a while she will run outside on her on and potty but then run right back in. So she does Okay with just going outside to potty (most of the time) very rarely do I actually have to force her to go outside to potty. It's mainly getting her to stay outside longer then just pee, poop and run inside

·
Banned
45 Posts
Every once in a while she will run outside on her on and potty but then run right back in. So she does Okay with just going outside to potty (most of the time) very rarely do I actually have to force her to go outside to potty. It's mainly getting her to stay outside longer then just pee, poop and run inside
Sounds good, the problem is not as bad as it seemed. That said, you need to stop thinking of outside in the same way as you have. Try going camping for a day, get up while it is still dark, and go to a large park or forest, have the dog outside ALL DAY WITH NO HOMES OR INSIDE ANYTHING ANYWHERE IN SIGHT. The dog can then learn how wonderful the sights and sounds of the forest are. Also bring a 50 foot check cord so that you can let the dog run long, that is if the dog can not be allowed to run free. If the dog is scared, it might just stay right by your side with no leash, you will not know until you try. The people who are advising you to be afraid of giving your dog freedom, are just reinforcing the behavior that exist. So get out of the house, and take your dog back to where the Wolves and Coyotes are still born, it's the dogs real home, every dogs, though not all people know this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts