Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was just wandering around a dog forum of my country, when I've found a thread asking for help to get a wheel chair for a dog. So I've checked the story, and it was about a pup that was found in the middle of a road and was saved by a shelter. The shelter took her to the vet and they managed to save her life, but she is probably paralytic for life. She won't be able to walk, she can't feel nor move her back legs, and she can't control the pee/poop functions nor feel it too.

This has saddened me, it sucks to think how so many animals are being abandoned or suffer from horrible conditions...

But the shelter is really admirable. They could choose to PTS her, but they rather save her and try to improve her quality of life. It made me wonder if I ever have a dog in such situation, would I do the same? Many people believe that this would not be a quality life for a dog, but even so, maybe it's still better than not having a chance to know the world at all, right? On the other hand, this kind of situation probably requires lots of commitment from the owner, since they have to help the dog to be on or off the wheel chair constantly, as well as be careful of the pee/poop issue...

What would you guys do if you have a dog in such situation?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
I used to work for this company that made dog wheelchairs. They work pretty well, especially if the dog is young and healthy otherwise.

·
Registered
396 Posts
a good friend of mine had a bulldog that would have terrible seizures and one day she had one on their back deck and fell off. she was unable to use her hind legs afterwards and they spent their savings on a surgery that didnt help then a wheelchair.. dodger (her name) only lived about a yr afterwards (she was an older dog) but she still seemed to be the same happy dog that she was before he would bring her to work and she was still full of kisses and right at his heals.. they donated the wheelchair to their vet for another needy dog, and i was very moved at their devotion to the happiness and wellbeing of their baby.. i would do anything necessary to help my dogs in a situation like this.. i think quality of life is the most important thing and my dog especially just hates to not be near me, i couldnt bear to euthanize her if her tail was still wagging and she still had good life left in her, even if just for a year or two..

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tess, thanks for the website, I'm checking it now. :) Although I'm not sure if it ships to my country?

carrielw87, that was a heart moving story. :) That dog was so lucky to have those owners... One of the best things about dogs is that they don't get depressed even if things like this happens to them, they still have the will power to live their lives happily.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
I'm pretty sure they do international shipping. There are also other companies to make carts for dogs.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems that they have found a wheel chair company for the wheel chair, and have successfully collected enough donation for the pup. :)

This is the pup:

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Physically she looks like a good candidate for a cart, as she is very strong up front. She also looks like she's pretty terrified of people, so someone will need to work on that gently over time.

Sheep, are you willing to tell us what country this is all happening in? I'm just curious. Sounds like Italian to me, but I'm no language expert.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Ditto Tess and Carrie.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Are you in Portugal?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I'm from Portugal. :) It was heart warming to have read her case, as there are some people willing to do so much for animals. It's heart breaking thought that animals has to suffer so much, specially when we humans could have done many things to make their lives much better... But well, another thing that made me happier to know was that there were some new laws for animal protection and abuse approved recently in Portugal. :)

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
That is good news. :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. While I think it's admirable to give a disabled dog a chance, and I do think this little girl can still have a happy life, I'd be very reluctant to take on a "project" like that. And I think most other people would too...
I've always had shelter dogs, and all of them had their own issues. I have no problem taking on an older or behaviorally difficult dog, and I have in the past. But I will only take on a dog when I know that I can and want to commit for his/her entire life. I feel sorry for this pup too, but honestly, can I commit to a dog for 10-15 years that can't control her pee and poop? Definitely not.
Portugal (and Spain) already have a huge dog overpopulation problem. I don't know about this specific shelter, but many of the dogs at shelters and perreras live in deplorable conditions. So I'm pretty sure the chances for this pup to get adopted are slim.
Now, if I already had the dog and this happened, you better believe that I would do anything within my power to keep the dog happy as long as possible. That's part of the commitment, and I'm certainly willing to stand up for that.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here. While I think it's admirable to give a disabled dog a chance, and I do think this little girl can still have a happy life, I'd be very reluctant to take on a "project" like that. And I think most other people would too...
I've always had shelter dogs, and all of them had their own issues. I have no problem taking on an older or behaviorally difficult dog, and I have in the past. But I will only take on a dog when I know that I can and want to commit for his/her entire life. I feel sorry for this pup too, but honestly, can I commit to a dog for 10-15 years that can't control her pee and poop? Definitely not.
Portugal (and Spain) already have a huge dog overpopulation problem. I don't know about this specific shelter, but many of the dogs at shelters and perreras live in deplorable conditions. So I'm pretty sure the chances for this pup to get adopted are slim.
Now, if I already had the dog and this happened, you better believe that I would do anything within my power to keep the dog happy as long as possible. That's part of the commitment, and I'm certainly willing to stand up for that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah I can understand it, honestly, I myself wouldn't really adopt a dog in such conditions (the pee/poop control issue), since both me and my partner works and we can't commit to staying with a dog entire days. But well, maybe some people can still do it. :) Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I don't think that it's really that troublesome, as in, probably the extra needs of this dog would be to change diapers every few hours, plus extra care for putting her on wheel chair when she goes outside for walks. At home, maybe she could wear some kind of protection pants so that she wouldn't get her skin hurt when she crawls at home (since being on wheel chair the entire time can be tiresome for her?). Maybe people that are retired and doesn't really mind the diaper trouble could take her in.

Also, maybe cases like this can touch people to remind them the situations of dogs in the country, and maybe consider more about adopting dogs instead of buying them. The overpopulation affects many countries, yet people knows so little about it or considered about adoption that it's a bit sad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts