Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella has begun running our 14 year old pappilon out of her bed and laying in it herself, So I went to family dollar and bought her a large pet bed something cheap that does the job, since she obviously is a puppy well she will not lay in her own bed and continues to run the pebbles(the 14 year old dog) out of her bed. Pebbles does not like other dogs messing with her and will bark and snap at her to get bella to leaver her alone only dog pebbles ever liked was our cocker spaniel mix who had to be put down about 4 years ago due to old age she was 15 years old.

I know this part is off topic but ever since Missy our cocker spaniel mix was put down 3-4 years ago Pebbles has not ate dog food, we have tried multiple kinds soft, hard everything she will not eat it, she is missing some teeth from having them pulled but she ate dog food after that she is a drawf so she is shorter and should only be 5 pounds but she is probably closer to 8-9 now since my mom feeds her chicken, sandwich meat, basically any left overs we have just to get her to eat. We tried leaving food and not giving her anything else and she went day's without eating they won't listen to me that she is getting overweight and say we don't feed her that much which they don't but Pebbles is obviously overweight. Why won't pebbles eat dog food anymore she has refused to eat dog food of any kind for almost 4 years

·
Registered
906 Posts
Bella has begun running our 14 year old pappilon out of her bed and laying in it herself, So I went to family dollar and bought her a large pet bed something cheap that does the job, since she obviously is a puppy well she will not lay in her own bed and continues to run the pebbles(the 14 year old dog) out of her bed. Pebbles does not like other dogs messing with her and will bark and snap at her to get bella to leaver her alone
Perhaps you need to do some intervention with Bella - as soon as you see her running toward Pebbles, call her away and distract her. If you can't be there to supervise, then keep the two dogs separated with an x-pen, baby gate or even in separate rooms. It's really not fair of you to allow your older dog to have to deal with the puppy alone.

Why won't pebbles eat dog food anymore she has refused to eat dog food of any kind for almost 4 years
No idea. Did you vet give you any help with that question?

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we always supervise and we call Bella every time she runs behind the chair where pebbles is but she ignores us and keeps on going. We have been trying to keep her from going back there.When she is back there we call her over and over and she just acts like were not calling her or anything she completely ignores us.

The vet doesn't really say much about pebbles not eating dog food just that shes being picky. My dad thinks pebbles is closer to 20 pounds now so if that's true she is 15 pounds overweight I think shes closer to 12 she hasn't been to the vet in a while we only take her when she is acting sick or for vaccinations.

·
Registered
876 Posts
After four years of delicacies I wouldn't want to go back to peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches.

Next time you go to the vet have them specifically check her teeth for any which might be loose or infected or have cavities. The crunchiness of a kibble might have been PAINFUL all those years ago and put her off eating it. And now that she knows she can get much, MUCH tastier food, why go back to boring kibble?

Dogs won't starve themselves to death. She's learned that all she has to do is wait a couple of days and it's back to the very delicious foods. Given she's got significant fat stores, doing so doesn't cost her all that much either.

If she won't eat dog food consider switching to a raw food diet. It's still 'people food' but it won't be the overly salted, overly fatty stuff WE like. And kept on a proper raw diet, she'll lose a lot of that excess weight. And if she's been getting deli meat right along.. well, it'll also be much cheaper to raw feed.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mom seems to think raw meat is dangerous for dogs. She sometime will boil chicken and not add any type of seasoning or anything to it for her. Her teeth have been checked. They did a deep cleaning and pulled her bad teeth

1 - 7 of 7 Posts