Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 month Beagle she has just started to run from me when I bend down to either pet her, or pick her up. NO I haven't been beating her.:) But some times when she just keeps running just far enought away I can.t reach her. I think about it. :mad:any Ideas??

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
is she running in fear or is she trying to play? If she is running in fear, then there is your answer, she is scared. Try sitting on the floor with some treats and let her come to you, give her treats one at a time until she comes close enough for you to lightly touch her, then keep giving her treats...go slow if she is scared.

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
If your Beagle is showing no signs of fear or nervousness then I would say It's a basic game of catch me if you can. Beagles are very playful with their fellow packmates. Every hound I have ever had the pleasure of sharing time with loved to play it, even my current beagle (8 years) still jumps up and bolts away from me, stops, looks at me and bays in an attempt to get me to chase her. Sometimes, My coonhound pup will do it in fun, or just because she is not done playing when it is time for bed, bath, dinner, vet, etc. Don't read to much into it. If it annoys you just work on commands to come. Mine are all whistle trained and verbal command trained. If I whistle or say "come" or "heel" they stop, settle down, and come to me. The new pup is whistle trained but I am still working on the verbal commands with her. She is a ball of fire and I even have to go get her on occasion.

Hounds have a different mentality then other breeds (IMO) and they take some getting use to. Be wary that your Beagle can be one of the most stubborn dogs on the planet if she so desires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.