Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our golden retriever puppy, Ozzy, the day after Christmas. He was the perfect puppy for the first week. No accidents, played and napped when he got tired, and took to his crate after the first few nights. That has all gone out the window. He's having a couple accidents daily(although none today), hates his crate and barks non stop, and he would rather try to get out of the gated living room/play area than actually play with us. I sit on the floor and play with him but he just goes to the gate and wants out. I take him into the kitchen with me when I'm cooking/cleaning and he just tries to get out of the gate. I just don't understand why. I'm at a loss. I feel like I got a puppy that can't be happy. I don't know what to do. I'm spending as much time with him as possible, but it doesn't seem to matter. He's fed, watered and pottied. But still seems unhappy. He had his 10 week checkup/vaccines today and he's perfectly healthy. I'm praying someone has some ideas as to what I can do to make my puppy happy. I feel like a failure and that I made a huge mistake getting him. This is not at all the way I thought I would be feeling right now. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
He sounds like he needs more exercise?
Labradors are high energy dogs especially when they are young
They are also smart and need mental stimulation
Hang in there

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He sounds like he needs more exercise?

Labradors are high energy dogs especially when they are young

They are also smart and need mental stimulation

Hang in there

Hi there and thanks for the reply! I agree about needing a lot of exercise. I play with him as much as possible all day long. He has a ton of toys and loves to play with tennis balls. We can't do a lot of outdoor play right now because it's in the teens and about 8" of snow. His paws get cold fairly quickly. But I feel like he gets ample exercise during the day from what i can do inside. He gets mental stimulation as well with his kong and he's learned to sit and come. Hopefully this is just an adolescent period and he gets better with time.

·
Registered
442 Posts
You feel like he is getting ample exercise and play from what you can do
But you need to look at the dog and see what he is telling you

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Maybe you can find a puppy play group that is held indoors or take him to Daycare a couple of times a week and to some Obedience classes when he is a little older. You can also do more training which tires them out, just teaching things like sit, down, stay a few times a day helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe you can find a puppy play group that is held indoors or take him to Daycare a couple of times a week and to some Obedience classes when he is a little older. You can also do more training which tires them out, just teaching things like sit, down, stay a few times a day helps.

Thank you. We do have obedience classes that we are starting in march. I have taught him to "come" and "stay" and we are working on "shake" today. I'm a little paranoid about taking him to public places before he's had all of his boosters. Is that something I need to be worried about?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Thank you. We do have obedience classes that we are starting in march. I have taught him to "come" and "stay" and we are working on "shake" today. I'm a little paranoid about taking him to public places before he's had all of his boosters. Is that something I need to be worried about?

It's good to be cautious about where you take him while he's not fully vaccinated.

What you can do is bring him places like a pet shop, hardware store, or farm / ranch store, put him in the basket and wheel him around. He'll still get to see new sights, smell new things, and meet new people, but he won't come into contact with any communicable diseases.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's good to be cautious about where you take him while he's not fully vaccinated.

What you can do is bring him places like a pet shop, hardware store, or farm / ranch store, put him in the basket and wheel him around. He'll still get to see new sights, smell new things, and meet new people, but he won't come into contact with any communicable diseases.

Oh good idea, we have a tractor supply in town so I'll definitely do that!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Maybe while you are cooking or something find a nice chew to occupy him with. I wouldn't suggest rawhides as many of us have heard horror stories. I my dogs like bully sticks and they last quite a while. Also when you do give him some thing of high prize be sure to go in there and take it away and if he lets your take it without growling then give it back. Its good to do it while they are young so incase you have kids or for some reason you need to pick it up, you won't have any issues.

Hope this helped!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Maybe while you are cooking or something find a nice chew to occupy him with. I wouldn't suggest rawhides as many of us have heard horror stories. I my dogs like bully sticks and they last quite a while. Also when you do give him some thing of high prize be sure to go in there and take it away and if he lets your take it without growling then give it back. Its good to do it while they are young so incase you have kids or for some reason you need to pick it up, you won't have any issues.

Hope this helped!

If you do that you need to do it properly, simply going in and taking it is likely to set he dog up to begin resource guarding since he's likely to see it as your stealing what he has. Teach him Drop It, and play trading games with him. If he lets you have what he has then he gets an even better treat and he gets the item back, it's a win win for him.
https://positively.com/dog-behavior/basic-cues/take-it-drop-it/

Reactions: riobay

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you do that you need to do it properly, simply going in and taking it is likely to set he dog up to begin resource guarding since he's likely to see it as your stealing what he has. Teach him Drop It, and play trading games with him. If he lets you have what he has then he gets an even better treat and he gets the item back, it's a win win for him.
https://positively.com/dog-behavior/basic-cues/take-it-drop-it/
Yes i agree, sorry i shouldve added a link for further instructions on how to do it properly. Yes you are right resource guarding could occur as well. Thank you for add that in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts