Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Arrrrg Monday's........

Bella piddled in her crate last night! She has never done this and hadn't cried to be let out so I am a little bemused. However, she had completely refused to go for a pee before bed despite me actually picking her up and taking her outside, again she is normally good at doing a pee before bed. I may have to encourage her with a nice treat tonight. I know I probable should have got out and taken her in the night, but we have all been sick this week so I was pooped and apart from the first week she has never needed to go out during the night.

Anyway, my friend has asked for some advise. She has a nine month old dog and whilst at the beach he kept running off in the opposite direction, literally about half a mile. When she finally got to him she would pop him in the lead. However, there were quite a few dogs at the beach and she had Been told at training not to let dogs meet on leads. So she took him off lead and off he ran again, usually following another dog. But he would not come when she called at all.

Buddy has always been really laid back and I think because of this she hasn't been as consistant with training. Any ideas? Do you think she may need to go back to training basics? X

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Haha, at least Bella can go the night without piddling in her crate, Zoey still has to go out at 5.30am! We tried extending her 10 minutes every night but she had an accident, so we're having to do it by a few minutes a night lol! :)

I wish we had a beach near us, I would love to have both dogs playing on the beach but our nearest is like 2 hours and we can't drive :( Glad Bella had fun though, bet she was tired after that!

Has your friend done any recall work? If so where? Recall needs building up gradually, get it good in the house, the garden, in the house with distractions, in the garden with distractions, in a new enclosed place with no distractions, same place with family member to distract, build distractions, new place with no distractions etc etc. I bought Total Recall when we first started with Zoey and it has some good ideas.

If she's letting the dog off-lead on a beach with tons of distractions (ie other dogs) and the dog doesn't have good recall, that would be why he is running ;) Also, if every time the dog comes back / the owner is near, he is put on-lead then being close to the owner = end of fun, put on-lead, home etc. So he's not gonna want to come back when he's supposed to because the results are rubbish!

Once recall training is complete and the dog can be let off-lead, coming when called needs to mean great things, such as high value treats, play etc. Even when dogs have been trained well in terms of recall, lots of dogs won't recall from playing with another dog...they're having way too much fun! :D Especially in the early stages, recall should only be used when you're 99% sure the dog will come, otherwise you are setting him up for failure.

Finally at 9 months the dog is probably going through the teenager stage, and for a lot of dogs if they did have recall it will go out the window! If this is the case go back to basic training and have the dog on a longline out on walks.

Why can't he say hi to other dogs on-lead, does he have a history of getting frustrated / aggressive because he can't get to other dogs? I'm very happy for my dogs to say hi to others on-lead, especially when Zoey's on the longline as she can still play with them :)

Red

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the ideas. We were always told when we went to puppy romp that dogs shouldn't meet on leads as it can result in problems later on, although I have to say it was the first time I had ever heard that. He isn't aggressive at all so I don't think it would be a problem.

His recall is a bit hit and miss even with treats like cheese. He only comes when he wants too.

I will pass on the info to her. Thanks

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Your trainer is probably worried about you meeting dogs like mine, who is fine off leash but growls and tries to pin other dogs when she's on leash. It's frustrating and long counter-conditioning process to make my dog be well-behaved on leash. So your trainer probably doesn't want your dog meeting mine and then turning into my dog because now your dog is afraid other dogs will be mean too and is trying to scare them away (like mine does). If that makes sense.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Your trainer is probably worried about you meeting dogs like mine, who is fine off leash but growls and tries to pin other dogs when she's on leash. It's frustrating and long counter-conditioning process to make my dog be well-behaved on leash. So your trainer probably doesn't want your dog meeting mine and then turning into my dog because now your dog is afraid other dogs will be mean too and is trying to scare them away (like mine does). If that makes sense.
Yes that does make total sense. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Vicky I just have to say. I've only found this forum, but I found myself clicking on all your threads, not realising it was the same person, till now. But I could have written the exacts posts, going through EVERYTHING you are going through!! Right down to the almost depression due to the massive change. Also, Ruby (nearly 16 weeks) pooped in her crate the other night, first time ever, but seems it was just a glitch and no more accidents since! If you ever want to chat feel free!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hi. It's always nice to hear from another puppy owner. What type of dog is ruby?
Did you ever imagine it was going to be such hard work?

I have to say that this last couple of weeks Bella has started to calm down a lot. Thank goodness.

Message me back anytime, I love to chat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi. It's always nice to hear from another puppy owner. What type of dog is ruby?
Did you ever imagine it was going to be such hard work?

I have to say that this last couple of weeks Bella has started to calm down a lot. Thank goodness.

Message me back anytime, I love to chat.
Ruby is 3/4 golden retriever and 1/4 collie :)

I never imagined it would be this hard! I read all the books did lots of research, but nothing prepared me for this!

I am a childminder, and have my own daughter (who says she feels left out sometimes :(), and a cat, so it is just chaos. The worst problems I have is Ruby jumping up at people, especially children :/ she stole a little girls lollipop in the park the other day, I usually have to keep on on her lead when people are near as she just jumps up at them,. but I just couldnt get her in time! The other main problem is the clothes biting and pulling. I have a pile of clothes in my wardrobe now that are dog suitable (holey!) and a pile saved for when shes more calm lol

Ive had many days when i feel like I should give her away and many many tears...Then I think, no one would ever look after her the way I do, i couldnt risk her going to someone bad... so i do really love her!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Bella is totally the same. The jumping up is a problem, I keep her on the lead too, but I actually dread meeting people as she will jump and piddle on their shoes with excitement. another cardigan bit the dust only yesterday. I'm sure we will look back on this with a smile one day.

Idealistinfire I really agree my kids were much easier. I think you worry more about puppies too.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
You know, everybody who has kids and has raised a puppy has said the puppy is harder. I told my parents this, who basically said it was a load of rubbish - they are not dog people at all and think I am exagerating everything I say I am working on with Zoey! You should have heard them when I said I had spent 3 weeks working on getting Zoey to wear a harness :rolleyes:

My mum (never taken any interest in a dog whatsoever, not read any books etc) used to make comments when Kasper was younger and a bit more boisterous about how badly trained he was and gave me training advice!!! WHAT?!

(oops, sorry, I really went off track there! :p )

Zoey (17 weeks tomorrow) has been a lot of hard work, but after hearing so many people saying how hard puppy parenthood is, it hasn't been as bad as I was expecting haha! It's been really really tough at times as well, so who knows what I was expecting :p I'm lucky that Kasper tires her out a lot though, and that Kasper himself was such a difficult dog when we first adopted him (he was 9 months)...nothing can live up to him!!! :D

Red

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It's funny because I actually think Bella is probably a totally amazing dog. I meet so many people who dogs don't like kids or other dogs or this or that. Bella loves everything, she is soppy with the kids and spends most of her time layed on her back getting her tummy tickled.

Having never had a dog before I think I had a vision of it being all fetch in the garden and walks along the beach, but it's also such hard work. But I am almost at the stage where I wouldn't be without her, although she is still hard work. But I think most of that is just the adjustment.

Also Red, I think mums are just like that whether they are telling you how to raise kids or train dogs.....they always know better, or so they think. I am sure I will be just the same when my kids are having their babies. Lol.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Haha you're probably right :D

Oh yes, when we first adopted Kasper...wow! We thought we were well prepared, we'd walked a lot of dogs, trained them, worked at three rescues...then Kasper arrived and it was all madness! I've lost count of the times we thought we'd made a mistake adopting him in those first few months! I don't think anyone can prepare you for your first dog :p

I'll bet Bella is an incredible dog, it sounds like she is a lot of fun :) Would love to see pics of her :D

Red

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
If I knew how to upload more I would put some on. I will take a look and see how to do it. I'm not too computer literate

·
Registered
338 Posts
...ditto on this entire post! I feel so much better having read it! My almost 15 week old puppy has had me in tears of desperation, and laughing hysterically as well. What a roller coaster ride. Glad it's not just me. Also, I feel pretty good I only have 1 pair of pants that have been ripped! I am getting off easy! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
We started puppy training classes last week, and there were a lot worse puppies than ours! Although there were some angels too, one woman told me she only ever got one hole in clothing and her only problem was they got through a tennis ball a day, because their puppy breaks them... Wow my heart broke for her ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Haha, my friend has a totally chilled puppy. He is very lovely although he is a barker and his recall is bad.

We have just booked to take Bella camping in may. I hope she likes it. X

21 - 40 of 115 Posts