Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone.

Despite trying really hard I can't get Bella to stop holding onto our clothes. She has no ripped two of my shirts and a cardigan. Today when I was sat on the floor she jumped for my jumper and managed to bite my nipple (ouch!)

Needless to say I would really like it to stop before she hurts one of the kids.

My first tactic was to yelp, this made her more excited. Then I tried firmly telling her no. These didn't work so I was trying to ignore her until she sat and then I praised her. However, although it worked someway she is still doing it. And often by the time she realises that I am paying her know attention I already have a whole in my clothes.

Am I going about things wrong. I can sometimes get her to sit when pulling, but often she will not let go. I then give her praise when she sits. She is mainly quite good and sits well waiting for praise or a treat. Is it just a case that she will get it eventually?

She is also quite good at the drop it command. Is it better to use sit or drop it in this situation. Sometimes I don't have something to trade with her on hand.
Do you think if I started clicker training it may help.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
How old is she?

We had a puppy who was an absolute terror at the whole nipping and grabbing clothes, etc.. from ages 2 - 4 months (Shih Tzu), so I feel for you. Because she is such a people-oriented dog, we found leaving the room every time she nipped at us to work well, but it still took a couple weeks of leaving every single time and a few reminders for the next couple months.

Have you looked into a flirt pole yet (basically a heavy-duty toy-on-a-string cat toy made for pups)? I made one with PVC pipes, rope and an old toy in about 5 minutes (about $8 total) and I'm not a do-it-yourself type person. The flirt pole really taught our puppy to chase and attack the flirt pole toy rather than the people, and we were able to wear her out in 5 - 10 minutes, which also helped with the exuberant nipping and playing.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Zoey is having a 'hyper' day today and is very nippy and clothes pully, despite not having done this for quite a while. If she's trying to initiate play we distract with a toy and have fun with that. We stand up, turn our backs and ignore her if she does it repeatedly or tries to nip us over a toy.

If she continues to tug on our clothes we pop her in her crate with some chew toys until she is calmer or has had a nap...she usually gets to that point when she's over-tired!

Thankfully Kasper is usually the one getting bitten by her and he doesn't mind :p

Red

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Totally normal behavior for a puppy, of course...

My "uniform" for raising a puppy is a heavy duty pair of carrhart lumberjack pants, and an old long sleeved shirt I don't care about.

Management, management, management.... To a large extent this is not a training issue as much as a management issue, and a maturing issue, and keeping her calm, exercising to get the yah-yahs out, and keeping her separated from the children when she is in "alligator mode". (children are extremely stimulating to a puppy... not a lot of hope either the children or the puppy can keep things calm, so separate with gates and crates!)

Puppies do grow up, and get past this very mouthy stage. Truly it will happen! In six months you'll look back at this stage with nostalgia. ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hehe. Thank you. It's nice to know there are other puppy owners walking around looking like hobos too!!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Good job keeping perspective!

Raising that first puppy is a double challenge, as everything they do is a cause for worry, and you wonder if it will ever stop! ;)

Been there! :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
We are going through a similar issue with Flynn right now. I can't wait until it's over, honestly. I can't put a pair of pants on without her going nuts. She's ripped two of the hubby's shirts already as well, although I think it was his fault for rolling around on the floor with her.

We are trying to just leave the room when she does it, it's hard because she latches onto pant legs. Usually we make her sit and lay and switch back and forth between them to just keep her mind on something else. It's works for about 3 minutes. We've also been redirecting to toys and such, that works until you take a step away and she sees pants moving.

Oh well, hopefully with persistence and growing up it will go away. You're definitely not alone with the puppy biting on clothes thing. haha.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I went though all that with my Border Terrier puppy he was a pain clicker trainning would be good too keep your puppies's mind focus on something else or give your puppy a time out that worked for me as the yelp for me did not work he just kepted on doing it anyways good luck your puppy will grow out of

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So bellas new food arrived yesterday. So for lunch I mixed half a half with the old one. She completely loved it and cleared her bowl which she has never done. Whilst on a walk I met a lady who also fed her cavalier on Burns, she raved about how amazing it was. So I was feeling really pleased and hoped Bella got on well with it. Now I don't know if it's complete coincidence but since she started on the food Bella has been off the charts loony, jumping nipping. Even her normal quiet period in the morning she has been a nutter. Is it too early to tell whether it is the new food, have I introduced too much new food too soon? Or is it all coincidence?

It would be a shame if it didn't agree with her as she loves it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And today I just feel like crying.......

Bella has been a mass of jumpy nippy over excitedness today. She has piddled on everyone she's met, despite me thinking that she was getting better with this. She has been so nippy and jumpy and scratchy that Charlotte has has to leave the room for most of the day. Usually if she calms down for anyone its Charlotte.

I dread having people round because she is totally hyper, I am afraid she will ruin their clothes. So I have to put her in her crate each time I have someone round.

Arrrrrg, just feel so frustrated and that I have made a huge mistake.

Sorry, just needed a moan.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Zoey has hyper days where I just end up absolutely shattered by afternoon, and by evening I have a headache and just want to sleep for ever!!! :) We're lucky because we have Kasper, and he really tires Zoey out rough playing with her and keeping her busy. I think that has stopped me going completely insane so far!!

Have you tried giving her plenty of chewable things, edibles, frozen Kongs, Kongs stuffed with mushed kibble or wet dog food...? Zoey is pretty much only fed in puzzle feeders, they keep her occupied for up to half an hour, tire her out and feed her all in one!! She had an empty plastic bottle with kibble in today and was hilarious with it, and it kept her occupied for 30 minutes - yay! ;)

When we have guests over we have them play with a long fluffy toy that they can flap about and get Zoey to chase and grab onto - this works well as it stops her grabbing their hands and clothes! We make sure she's already tired, and then if she can't settle we pop her in her crate with something to chomp on.

It's okay to tire Bella out and pop her in her crate when she needs to rest or you need a break from her!! :) Zoey maybe spends an hour or so out playing with Kasper, goes in her crate when she's tired, and stays out longer when Kasper is away to play, train and settle on her own. She goes in and out of her crate anywhere between 2 - 5 times a day, not including overnight...we've learned to recognise when she needs help settling, and she just goes into her crate with a Kong and will sleep.

Zoe is on JWB puppy food, I love it! :) She's doing really well on it, although doesn't like the fish variety at all :p She loves the chicken and turkey ones though, and I'm always impressed by the top quality ingredients. Burns is good too, but our vet sells JWB at a reasonable price so I think we'll stick with that until she's ready for Kasper's adult food.

I totally get where you're coming from wishing Bella would grow up already, I am the exact same with Zoey! Although I know I'll miss these puppy days, I can't wait until she's older, can go on proper long walks with both dogs, see what she looks like, can have basic training out of the way, don't have to take her to the toilet every half hour hahaha! :D

Red

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess it's just a case of waiting for her to grow up a little. Some days are just better than others.

I try to keep her occupied with loads of toys and chews but nothing keeps her attention for very long. Bella loves her plastic kibble filled bottle too. They do look funny chasing it round the room.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
And today I just feel like crying.......

Bella has been a mass of jumpy nippy over excitedness today. She has piddled on everyone she's met, despite me thinking that she was getting better with this. She has been so nippy and jumpy and scratchy that Charlotte has has to leave the room for most of the day. Usually if she calms down for anyone its Charlotte.

I dread having people round because she is totally hyper, I am afraid she will ruin their clothes. So I have to put her in her crate each time I have someone round.

Arrrrrg, just feel so frustrated and that I have made a huge mistake.

Sorry, just needed a moan.
Totally normal for a young puppy. They are not fit for civilized company at this age. Its perfectly OK, even good, to gate her away from people when needed. (sounds like she needs a looong nap to me... over-tired, over-stimulated perhaps?)

They do grow up and you'll look back and remember the time as going quickly, although it seems slow now.

There is no mistake here.
You are a lovely owner and she's going to be a fabulous dog.

Remember, the cure for 2 year old toddler blues, is the passage of time. If we all had to live with toddlers forever, we'd never have kids. ;)

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hi everyone.
Do you think if I started clicker training it may help.
I think clicker training will help a lot This is where you start to learn how its done, then I think the bitting one will be good. Lots of exercise is also necessary, is this pup getting out for runs every day? Kikopup is very good at what she does and will help you with most any problem you might have.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Totally normal for a young puppy. They are not fit for civilized company at this age. Its perfectly OK, even good, to gate her away from people when needed. (sounds like she needs a looong nap to me... over-tired, over-stimulated perhaps?)

They do grow up and you'll look back and remember the time as going quickly, although it seems slow now.

There is no mistake here.
You are a lovely owner and she's going to be a fabulous dog.

Remember, the cure for 2 year old toddler blues, is the passage of time. If we all had to live with toddlers forever, we'd never have kids. ;)
I totally love you sue (and everyone on DF) You really make me feel better. You must get sick of saying the same thing to me each time, but I really couldn't get through puppy hood without you.

The thing you said about toddlers is soooo true. My friend said exactly the same thing to me today. Also reminding me what an awful toddler my son was (and I mean awful) and he is the best 9 year old boy there is. Hopefully it won't take Bella that long. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks dawnben, I will take a look.

Red, Zooey is totally beautiful, I can't wait to see what she is going to look like when she's grown either. X

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Think of the upsides...

Puppies do grow up so much faster than baby humans, and they house break sooner too. :)

Plus, instead of paying for a baby sitter, you can just put the puppy in a crate and go out to dinner.

Seems like a night out about now is what you need. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If everyday could be like today.......

Bella was much calmer today. We went to the beach and she spent an hour playing with buddy her best doggy friend. They even went into the sea for a quick dip!

After a nice sleep we did some clicker training. I had already introduced her to the clicker so I decided to use it to get her used to being brushed. She hates the brush. But I managed to give her a quick brush with the help of clicker and treats.

So, baby steps but at least we are heading in the right direction today. X

1 - 20 of 115 Posts