Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...I have a 13 week old St. Bernard I have had for 5 weeks now...he sleeps in his crate just about every night without having to go out to pee...my concern is while I'm at work he pees in his crate about every other day if not everyday...I come home from work every 2-3 hours to let him out and like I said just about once a day he has peed...i dont know if maybe I should give him less water but I'm afraid to...he gets his last drink of water between 7-8pm then we go to bed about 9pm...like I said he almost always hold it until 5am when I get up for work...at that time I let him out in the fenced yard for 15 mins or so while I get ready for work...I make sure to watch him pee right when he goes out...before I leave for work At 6am I give him a half cup of water...then I come back to let him out about 9 am...same thing about 10 mins in the yard...then another half cup of water before I leave...I then come home about 11am for an hour...at this time he eats lunch and drinks water and we take a short walk...I then go to work and come back about 230pm...

Anyways I'm told that obviously whatever goes in comes out but I can't imagine not giving him any water between 7pm and 11am when I get home for lunch that's like 16 hours without water...I thought since he sleeps through the night just fine that just a half cup of water a couple times while I'm gone would be just fine

I have his crate sectioned off so he has a space of approx 20"x28"...he is approx 24" long so I thought this was adequate but not to much for him to pee...

Is all of this just normal behavior for a 13 week old...will he eventually just stop this peeing or is this a concern?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I wouldn't restrict his water during the day at all.

If it was me, I would take a step back and gate him in a puppy-proofed bathroom with access to puppy pads and see what he does.

What I'm thinking is, if he is peeing on himself in the crate, the point of the crate is being defeated for later training. I wouldn't want him to get used to the idea of lying in his mess.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi:)

Just to fully understand it: You come home 2 times during the working day, and you feed him the second time?

Does he pee in the same interval every time it happens?

I think it sounds like you boy is growing a habit that you want to change as soon as possible, but I would try to change it by coming home more often for a week or two - or maybe get someone to take him to the yard - if at all possible?

As you probably know, dogs like to pee the same places - they can smell where they have peed before and will go there again, so this you also need to consider when you try to establish a new habit for your puppy.

Of course, it'll get better as his blatter grows - but only is you make sure, that this will not become a real habit of his.

Hope you find a way to help your pup :dog-shy:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

Just to fully understand it: You come home 2 times during the working day, and you feed him the second time?

Does he pee in the same interval every time it happens?

I think it sounds like you boy is growing a habit that you want to change as soon as possible, but I would try to change it by coming home more often for a week or two - or maybe get someone to take him to the yard - if at all possible?

As you probably know, dogs like to pee the same places - they can smell where they have peed before and will go there again, so this you also need to consider when you try to establish a new habit for your puppy.

Of course, it'll get better as his blatter grows - but only is you make sure, that this will not become a real habit of his.

Hope you find a way to help your pup
Yes I come home two times a day from work...it's not always the same time that he pees...it could be the first or second time home doesn't seem to matter...yes I feed him at lunch when i come home...I really have no way of letting him out any more often then every couple hours...like I said there are days where he will go without peeing but very rarely...

I assume he's not just peeing because he's thirsty and drinking it? I've seen him drinking it that's why I ask...

He does potty the instant I take him outside so he does realize that is where he needs to go...and there are times we will be in the house for 2-3 hours and he is just fine...

Do u agree with the person above saying maybe I should put him in a puppy pen area instead of his crate while I'm gone during the day?

Do u have any other suggestions other then trying to come home more often to let him out?

Kind of sucks because he is doing pretty well besides that...he walks on a leash real well he sits stays lays and comes really well so i dont know

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've also read not to use blankets or any type of bed in the crate because they like to potty on these surfaces....I think I can continue to use a bed at night for him since he has no issues at night but maybe take it away while I'm away at work? What I am afraid of is if I have no bed he is going to drink up any pee that happens and I will never know he went potty? Anyways I guess I can only give it a shot and see what happens...I use the natures miracle cleaner to clean his bed and crate to try to rid it of the smell...

·
Registered
442 Posts
I mentioned gating him just to see what happens
Sometimes with housetraining I find I have to take a step backwards to go forward again

The fact that he is peeing in the crate would concern me because it will negate the use of the crate if he gets used to lying in his own mess. So I would want that to stop while I figure out what is going on

It could be that he can't hold it for that interval
That's fine. In that case you would be better off using a gated bathroom with puppy pads rather than let him pee on himself

Later when he gets bigger and his bladder can hold more, you can work back up.

I would take the bed out during the day and see if that helps. He will be ok without it

If the crate has been peed on a lot, I would also be worried about that and would want to give it a really deep clean with the special cleanser

I would not restrict his water during the day. Let him drink what he needs at watering time

Just throwing out ideas, hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I mentioned gating him just to see what happens
Sometimes with housetraining I find I have to take a step backwards to go forward again

The fact that he is peeing in the crate would concern me because it will negate the use of the crate if he gets used to lying in his own mess. So I would want that to stop while I figure out what is going on

It could be that he can't hold it for that interval
That's fine. In that case you would be better off using a gated bathroom with puppy pads rather than let him pee on himself

Later when he gets bigger and his bladder can hold more, you can work back up.

I would take the bed out during the day and see if that helps. He will be ok without it

If the crate has been peed on a lot, I would also be worried about that and would want to give it a really deep clean with the special cleanser

I would not restrict his water during the day. Let him drink what he needs at watering time

Just throwing out ideas, hope this helps!

Thanks Kate...tomorrow while I'm at work I'm just gonna gate off the whole kitchen and see what results I get from that...like u said at least until he gets older and shows improvement on holding his bladder while I'm gone...in the mean time he will still sleep in his crate every night so he stays familiar with the crate...thanks again for all your input

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi again! I agree with Kate that when it's not possible for you to get home more often, I would also "protect" the crate. My experience is that when something goes wrong, you must go a step back - again just like Kate says :)

I think it's a good idea to leave your boy in a restrained area, without the crate AND without the pads. If he learns that it's ok to pee on the pads, you'll have to spend much time teaching him only to pee outside - which he knows now is the right way.

I wonder if the crate might be a part of the problem even though he sleeps through the night in it...? If it was me, I think I would change the floor of the crate when you are ready to try the crate again.

Hope your experiment goes well, especially since he's such a good boy in all other ways :thumbsup:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well went home today on my first break today and no pee in the kitchen as far as I could tell...so that's nice...he did chew the pee pad into a hundred pieces though so we r gonna try no pads and see how that goes
You can buy a holder for the pads. LOL I've heard of plenty of dogs who do this. I'm thankful that my two do not.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again for your help guys...here's a couple pics of the Hansom fella lol

His name is grimace he's 13 weeks

And the big guy is his friend down the street Henry....Henry is 185lbs lol

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts