Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 4 month old Shichon puppy who is kind of almost sort of housebroken in terms of going to the bathroom. He either goes outside in the yard, or on a pad we have set up.

I am noticing that when we leave him alone to either shower, go to bathroom or any activity in which he is left alone and unable to see us, he will seemingly force himself to poop little bits around the pad area even though we took him out just 30 minutes before and he relieved himself. I almost feel like he's doing this because he's used to someone coming to clean it up whenever he does that indoors. Are we being paranoid or is he just a puppy doing puppy things?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had this problem too. I sometimes still do with my 10 month old puppy. Maybe keep him in a crate when you are not available to watch him. He might whine and have a tantrum but it is the only way he will learn not to go potty in the house. I usually tie my dog up to a small rope somewhere in the house so he can only go to certain places this may not work since he could just poo where he is able to go, but this actually works with my puppy. But for your young puppy the crate is probably a better option!

·
Registered
420 Posts
I agree, crate if not leashed to you or, at least directly supervised until they are 100% house trained, usually at sometime between 6 months and one year of age.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have tried to crate, but it has a very similar effect. He cries for a while then begins to poop forcefully. He assumes the position and leaves one or two droppings then tries to keep going for another few minutes with nothing coming out. I'm really hoping this separation anxiety is something he will grow out of in a couple months.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts