Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. We have two Shih Tzu puppies: Gin is female and she is 5 months old, Whisky is a male and he is 4 months old. As potty training we are using the nappy method and when we are not home we leave them in their pen which has their bed, food & water and nappy. They are generally alone at home for about 6 hours (that is the reason we got 2 puppies and it worked as they have bonded a lot between them).

When they are in the pen they rarely have accidents and most pee and poop goes on the nappy. When we let them out though they do their business a little bit everywhere and AT TIMES go back to their nappy and do it there.

Additionally Gin in the past two weeks deliberately climbs on the couch and poops there. This week she also did it on our bed.

We have had them since November. We have a small yard (tiled no soil or turf), maybe we can train them to go there?

I would really appreciate help as we are totally lost on what to do.

Olivia

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

Great job at getting them trained to go in the pen when you guys aren't home.

When you said you guys let them out, do you guys let them roam freely around the house? Or is it just specific places?

If you guys are letting them roam free, I would advice that you guys don't allow them to roam freely until they are potty-trained. When you allow puppies to roam freely, they will go where ever and whenever they want. Puppies need to be taught boundaries.
You have to be very consistent when it comes training them and taking them out to potty. For 5 months old, you should be taking them out to potty about every 3 to 4 hours. Unless if you guys are at work, your method that you're doing is perfect. Keep them confined.

However, when you're home and monitoring them, be very consistent. If you would like to take them to the backyard, you have to have a scheduled time to take them out. This way, the puppies will know that there's a specific time and specific place that they should be going.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts