Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella has not peed on the floor in 3 days but she has begun pooping on the floor multiple times a day even though she poops outside multiple times a day. She gets fed once a day the amount the dog food bag states nothing has changed she went from only pooping twice a day and whining when she wanted to go outside to poop to pooping 4-5 times a day and giving us NO warning and sneaking behind furniture to poop.
Yesterday I took her outside when we woke up she pooped I took her out again after she ate she pooped took her out a few hours later she pooped again and still found where she pooped twice inside the house. Why has she begun pooping so much and why has she stopped letting us know when she has to go out.Normally if she has to poop she will not come inside until she poops but now you can take her out and she wants in whether shes pooped or not. When I got her we went 2-3 weeks without one poop accident and now we have them all the time. I just don't understand why she has started pooping in the house.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Most of the time the recommendations on the bag are wrong. I'd feed her less, and I'd split it up into two smaller meals instead of just one big one. It sounds like she's eating too much.

Does she get a lot of treats? If you're doing a lot of training, you'll need to cut down on her regular kibble to make up for the extra she's consuming. Sometimes I make that mistake and it usually leads to a middle-of-the-night accident.

Finally, is she stressed? Sometimes stress can mess with their tummies and make it so they just really have to go - right now.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She doesn't get any treat's and I have been feeding her that amount since the day I brought her home and we weren't having any issues until about a week ago and no she shouldn't be stressed as soon as my check comes in i'm switching her off of purina puppy chow and onto 4 health puppy formula

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
She's a puppy. Sometimes they regress. What do you do when you find the poop? Does anyone yell when they see a mess in the house? Could be why she's scurrying away. I would also still suggest putting her on a leash in the house and connecting it to you so she does not have the opportunity to scurry away when you're not looking and have an accident. If she's not in your sight, she's up to no good.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason we haven't kept her tied on a leash is because last time we did she kept pulling and pulling to the point of getting sick she has a harness but she continues to pull until she overheats and gets sick and no we just clean it up and thats it we say nothing to her

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I would say if she can't be on the leash she needs to be corralled to a place where you can see her at all times. She needs to be in your sight at all times so you can watch for the signs. (Darting off, sniffing the ground, circling).

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's so hard to tell with her because she often just sniffs the ground even when she doesn't have to go out or she darts off when she is playing. She always poops behind the chair where our other dog stays so its hard to tell if shes going back there to poop or see her she did good yesterday didn't poop anywhere but she did pee on the floor again.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I would just say that if she shows any of the signs, she goes out. Sometimes she won't have to go, but I would rather do a few extra trips outside and be able to reward then have to do clean up.

Reactions: Coco Bisou

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Totally agree with @jclark343. You'll probably end up doing a lot of trips outside where nothing happens, but you'll have a ton of experience to reward her heavily for going potty outside, and she'll soon start to realize that going outside is the best thing ever because she gets treats!

Not even joking, I go outside with my puppy about 30 times a day. Is it annoying? YES. But she is quickly learning treats happen when she goes potty outside and that if she goes right away, we will play outside together.

You'll get through this. Potty training is annoying - stay positive!

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't take her out that often because I spend most of my day doing school work I am currently taking 3 online classes right now a hybrid class and a computer class. I have been taking her out every 2 hours but instead of making any progress she just keep's getting worse. She went from whining to need to go outside to giving NO warnings at all. She went from never pooping on the floor to pooping on the floor every single day. and we still have a pee accident everyday although I have been very consistent with getting her outside on a regular basis

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Honestly? There's not going to be a quick fix.

My youngest dog wasn't potty trained until about 11 months old. We experimented a lot, but honestly, some of it was that he had to mature and the rest was that we weren't doing a good enough job of watching him - even though I knew I needed to, I'd get busy and forget. Once I decided that I really needed to follow my own advice, I kept him with me and set a timer to go out, then he made progress. Only then.

You can still do classwork and take her out frequently. Set up a pen for her in the room where you are working, and set a timer on your cell phone for 45 minutes. Give her some toys to keep her busy. Start your work, and when the timer goes off, you take her out. And repeat.

I also still think you're feeding too much and that you need to split it into smaller, more frequent meals (at least twice a day). Having Chisum on at least a general feeding schedule was a lifesaver, as it predicted (for the most part) when/how much he'd have to go.

Beyond this advice, which is essentially what the others have already told you, there's nothing more to say. We don't have a magic potion that will make her housetrained - you have to put in the effort.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts