Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new to forum. I brought a new puppy into the family a few weeks ago. She's a 9 week old female Schnoodle named Pepper. I also have a 4 year old Aussie, Joey. I've never owned two dogs before and I'm wondering how much I should let them play. Joey is very good with her and they play a lot. He tends to lie down to play with her but every once in a while he stands and they get a little more excited. Should I be limiting their play and what should I look for as a sign to put a stop to it? Thanks for any advise you might have.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Dogs, if well socialized, are just the thing for teaching puppies manners. Puppies want to play-play-play and an adult dog will teach the puppy when no means no. My brother's puppy regularly rough housed with it's littermates and was quite the nipper even with people. It gave my dog a nice little nip on the leg. My dog flicked the puppy away with her face, gave a low growl, and retreated to a place and refused to play with the dog. To this day the puppy has never nipped another dog or human. Just like toddlers need to learn from adults, puppies need other dogs and puppies will learn when the older dog has enough.

Now, this requires a spot for the older dog to retreat to when it's had enough, but other than that a well trained older dog will instinctually teach the little one boundaries.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, Seashoreduck. Joey is very well socialized so I think we should be okay. Having two dogs is such a new experience for me.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Should be absolutely fine. My adult Aussie, Pete, has been Winston's best pal since he was a tender 5 weeks old. The first time I saw Winston wag his tail was when we got home and I set him on the ground in front of Pete. Pete was "the baby" of my crew until Winston came along, and he's done so great helping me raise him. Winston is now taller and outweighs Pete by about 12 lbs., but this is them when Winston was still a little fella. Pete is smart enough that when Winston would get annoying he'd go find one of his toys and bring it to him. He preferred that to being mauled by sharp puppy teeth, LOL! Pete doesn't usually play with toys, but did when he wanted to entertain Winston. Such a good boy! I love this picture of them:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts