Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jackson just turned 17 weeks and is the picture of health. I can't tell you what breed he is because he was a "mixed breed" rescue but he seems to have a corgi's body with a lab's face. Vet today predicted he'll probably be around 30 pounds total (20 pounds today). Getting longer and heavier but still has short, stubby legs. :)

He is a ball of energy in spite of our daily walks, play sessions, training sessions, socialization, etc. After all, he's a puppy! I can handle the energy, the chewing, the house-breaking accidents, the terrorizing of our other dogs, etc. but what's really starting to get to me (badly) is his yapping, yipping, screechy bark when he wants something. He mostly does it when he's trying to get one of the other dogs to play with him but he also does it if he wants something he can't reach, or when we're driving and he needs to pee (thank goodness for that one) and when he's just going through his evening "zoomies" period where he is a total spaz.... he'll just yip and yelp at screech at anything and everything - over excited and over-exerted?

I really don't have a clue as to how to correct that. Of course some barking is normal and acceptable, but when it causes human headaches and causes us to pause a movie because we can no longer hear the tv, it's gotten out of hand. Ignoring him doesn't work, telling him to "Shush" doesn't work, giving him a chewie doesn't work. I've tried putting him in his exercise pen for a time out but he just continues the yelping from in there.

Anyone? I'm guessing this is party of puppyhood (although I don't remember it ever being this bad with the other dogs) and that he'll eventually do it less, but I don't want to let it go un-corrected for fear it will turn into a life-long habit.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Sue

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
If he has some hearding breed in him that could be a part of his over ecitment. And im sure being a young pup is also a factor. Have you tried some peanut butter in a kong? That might be enough to ocupy him. How much mental stimulation does he get?
Other then that you may just need to teach him to be calm when inside or at least when asked/capture calm since it seems he may need a bit of help.

Reactions: SueAndHerZoo

·
Registered
434 Posts
I love your description--corgi body and lab face. My puppy JuJu is evil with a puppy face! LOL I think he's going to chill eventually. Keep us posted?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. Trust me, this pup has every treat possible available to him, including home made treats and peanut butter/sweet potato stuffed into Kongs, bones, etc. Reindeer antlers, Himalayan dog chews, etc. And he IS good about occupying himself with these chewies at times, but once or twice a day he does that ear-piercing yapping/bark. I used to have parrots and they had a noisy period every day, once a day, so maybe some animals just need to let off steam vocally. I think it will probably subside as he gets older/calmer but now that it's nice out I have the windows open and I often laugh to myself thinking the neighbors probably think I'm torturing puppies over here! LOL

When I can get a decent photo of him I'll post it. He's going to be a funny-looking, lovable little guy. I had a woman offer me $1000 for him the other day at the vet's office and another woman wanted her picture taken with him - he gets a lot of attention out in public.
Sue

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
It could also be his version of zoomies. Like you said he could very well calm down as he gets older.

Reactions: SueAndHerZoo

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've never even thought about using sweet potato or anything other than peanut butter in a kong... that's awesome.

You mentioend it's only once or twice a day, everyday. Is there any particular reason he seems to be doing it?
What was he doing, or not doing, before he started barking. And if it's around the same time, maybe keep your dog distracted // take him out beofre then to shake his habit?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never even thought about using sweet potato or anything other than peanut butter in a kong... that's awesome.

You mentioend it's only once or twice a day, everyday. Is there any particular reason he seems to be doing it?
What was he doing, or not doing, before he started barking. And if it's around the same time, maybe keep your dog distracted // take him out beofre then to shake his habit?
I mix peanut butter with canned pumpkin or sweet potato and then stuff their bones and kongs..... not quite as fattening as pure peanut butter and probably a little healthier for them.

He seems to be doing it when he wants to play, so I've been working on ignoring him when he's barking and then rewarding him with play when he STOPS barking. It's happening less - I think it's his way of blowing off some steam and energy.
Sue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts