Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Our 9-week-old Italian greyhound puppy has been in our home about 2 weeks. We also have a 2-year-old Italian greyhound.

Crate training is going pretty badly, but she at least will settle in her crate at night...at first. She wakes up every 45 to 90 minutes, usually after she has already gone to the bathroom in the crate. Our older dog literally never did this after we got the right size crate for him, so I am now officially at a loss as to what to do. Plus, the sleep deprivation is no joke and I don't feel like I'm playing with a full deck!

During the day, we mainly have her confined to the kitchen where she has a potty pad and room to play (someone is always with her). She is getting pretty good at running over to the pad to pee or poop, although she will still quite often pee on the floor, it just comes over her and she goes.

I understand she's very young and small but having apparently lucked out with our older dog, I have no clue how to try and get a handle on this.

Here is what we've tried:
Small crate (she weighs about 4 pounds and we use a divider in the crate, the floor footprint is about the size of a shoebox)
Soft bedding
No bedding
Last feeding at 7pm and plenty of playtime/trips to potty pad before bedtime
No water 2-3 hours before bed
Proactively setting alarm to take her out (she's often already gone)

She doesn't whine to let us know she has to go, she whines after the fact. Here are some recent sample nights with time stamps:

Bedtime 11:15pm
Woke up 12:10am, peed in crate
Woke up proactively at 3am, peed on pad
Woke at 4:55am, pooped in crate

Bedtime 11:30pm
Woke at midnight, peed in crate
Woke at 1:25am, peed in crate
Woke at 5am, took her out

Any ideas or suggestions are very welcome, I'm pretty desperate.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please...tonight I removed water at 8:30 and too her potty at 8:30, 9:30, 10:30, 11:30...peed each time, bed at 11:30 and woke us at midnight for poop and pee, and then again for pee at 1, 2, 3 and 4 (peed in crate). I am at my wits end.

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
Even for a pup, that sounds like a lot of peeing. I think I'd pop a sample into the vet to check for a UTI. And, it's really not a good idea to withhold water, you really don't want her to get dehydrated. Amongst other things, if she does have an infection, too little water means she won't flush her system out and help get rid of it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. Gosh it's confusing to read advice online; many sources say to withhold water before bed! As time goes by she is getting a bit better although we do still get up a lot with her at night. She's been to the vet and does not have a UTI. Anyway last night I took her out before bed at 11:30 and she woke up to go out at 12:30, 2:30, 5 and then for good at 6. She's also letting us know before she goes so we are hopeful about this trend.

·
Registered
201 Posts
How is she in the crate? Is she stressed, unsettled and worried? She might be stressed out and anxious when she’s in the crate. Have you tried letting her sleep outside the crate, maybe in a puppy pen?

·
Super Moderator
446 Posts
Puppies do pee a lot, hourly is normal while awake but that's a lot more than I'd expect overnight. Is she sleeping? Could she be cold, hungry or as @SunFlower says, distressed? The time between a puppy realising they have to toilet, and being unable to hold it, is zero. So if she is awake, don't rely on her warning you (she won't know herself until it's too late). It will be a question of being proactive and taking her out, aiming for every toilet to be outside.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's rough. Kudos for you for getting up in the middle of the night!

Four pounds is small so her bladder is also very small which may account for the frequent urination. Her organs are still developing, changing size and there probably isn't much room for error (not much time between the first sensation to eliminate and actual elimination). Your vet might confirm this.

If you aren't already, I recommend that you reward her with a treat immediately after she eliminates outside (wait until she is done so she doesn't stop half way to get her treat) to make going outside preferable. You could give her more space in her crate and allow her to use pee pads overnight. I know people worry that this will make it harder to train her to go outside when she is older but if you consistently reward her when she goes outside you probably won't have any issues. If you are miserable and can't sleep you won't be able to function or be a good pet owner so your sanity might be worth temporarily allowing her to use a pee pad at night.

I foster litters of puppies who have 24/7 access to pee pads inside. In the morning, I let them out into the outdoor kennel (cement floor) and after I've seen them all (or most) go to the bathroom I let them into the yard. Even though they've already gone to the bathroom they will almost always pee again when they hit the grass. My point here is that most dogs prefer to eliminate in the grass even if they are used to using a pee pad.

She's young and changing rapidly so, my guess is that she will grow out of this. It takes about a year before a dog is fully potty trained. Hang in there!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's rough. Kudos for you for getting up in the middle of the night!

Four pounds is small so her bladder is also very small which may account for the frequent urination. Her organs are still developing, changing size and there probably isn't much room for error (not much time between the first sensation to eliminate and actual elimination). Your vet might confirm this.

If you aren't already, I recommend that you reward her with a treat immediately after she eliminates outside (wait until she is done so she doesn't stop half way to get her treat) to make going outside preferable. You could give her more space in her crate and allow her to use pee pads overnight. I know people worry that this will make it harder to train her to go outside when she is older but if you consistently reward her when she goes outside you probably won't have any issues. If you are miserable and can't sleep you won't be able to function or be a good pet owner so your sanity might be worth temporarily allowing her to use a pee pad at night.

I foster litters of puppies who have 24/7 access to pee pads inside. In the morning, I let them out into the outdoor kennel (cement floor) and after I've seen them all (or most) go to the bathroom I let them into the yard. Even though they've already gone to the bathroom they will almost always pee again when they hit the grass. My point here is that most dogs prefer to eliminate in the grass even if they are used to using a pee pad.

She's young and changing rapidly so, my guess is that she will grow out of this. It takes about a year before a dog is fully potty trained. Hang in there!
Thank you very much. She's just past the 12-week mark and beginning to seem more like how our older dog (he's 2) was when he was 8 weeks old. In other words, she's just more immature than he was - she's a different dog! We're making the necessary adjustments. We have re-engaged our trainer and she's coming up with some ways to help us.

The puppy is still waking up frequently at night and I do think she is anxious in the crate, so the trainer has given us tools to help that. It's more like every 2 hours now, with the occasional 3-hour stretch. We're using calming spray in her crate, a pheromone diffuser, and a calming supplement each night. But I really think getting her more okay with the crate will be the difference-maker.

Otherwise, she's turning into a very sweet and playful little dog and we are enjoying her and getting to know her much more than when it was such a slog!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have got a Doberman puppy from Fine Line Family K-9 and he's doing very well. My Shiro is of 2 months and also doing pee and potty in the crate after waking up. Now after having his food, I take him out and thank god, I'm successful. It would be better to take him to a vet to get some genuine suggestions, dear. I think these are natural for puppies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts