Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i rreally wanted my pups to be able to sleep with me, but they pee on the bed whenever i leave them there.they even pee when were playing with them on the bed. i know the best solution is to not let them on the bed. (they lost the privilege) but WHY do they do it? i have an older dog who is extremely jealous and growls at them. is it that? can it also be because of scolding? i dont scream or ell. but they're fairly timid ! asking for your thoughts. thank you

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Puppies don't have much bladder control, it's probably nothing more complicated than that! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
They probably don't like the idea of jumping off the bed to get to the potty. 1.5' can be a long ways down depending on age and size. And besides that, who has time for a potty-break when you get to play around on the bed?! ;)

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
They are too young to be house trained well enough to leave them on the bed. They are also too small to be able to comfortably get down from the bed to let you know they need to go potty. (A puppy this size can break a leg jumping off a bed!)

Also, puppies generally like to pee on absorbent surfaces.

So there is nothing wrong with cuddling them on the bed for short times, but be sure they went potty before you bring them up on the bed and don't keep them there too long.

Puppies this young need to pee very often, just after waking up, after eating and drinking, and after or even during play time.

Remember, NEVER yell at or even scold a puppy for a potty accident. You will only frighten the puppy and teach them to hide when going potty. Accidents are the result of the human not properly managing the situation. It is your job, as the human, to take the puppies out to tinkle really, really often. They cannot tell you yet that they need to go. Also, they do not understand that it is "wrong" for them to potty inside, so you cannot blame them.

Follow these directions for house training them and they will be reliable in a few weeks or a couple of months.

Good luck with your little babies!

Oh, one more thing, try to do a better job managing the situation with the older dog as well, so the older dog is not frightening the puppies. That does not mean you should scold your other dog, which would just teach the older dog to hate the puppies. Instead, use baby gates and other management strategies to prevent the puppies from bothering the older dog and make sure your older dog still gets plenty of your attention too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they are great at getting on and off the bed. they havent had a problem with t since i removed the frame. theyre actually much better at using the pads than before. and the pad is a foot or two from the bed sometimes they use it and go down bu they mainly pee while im asleep!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remember, NEVER yell at or even scold a puppy for a potty accident. You will only frighten the puppy and teach them to hide when going potty. Accidents are the result of the human not properly managing the situation. It is your job, as the human, to take the puppies out to tinkle really, really often. They cannot tell you yet that they need to go. Also, they do not understand that it is "wrong" for them to potty inside, so you cannot blame them.

Follow these directions for house training them and they will be reliable in a few weeks or a couple of months.

Good luck with your little babies!

Oh, one more thing, try to do a better job managing the situation with the older dog as well, so the older dog is not frightening the puppies. That does not mean you should scold your other dog, which would just teach the older dog to hate the puppies. Instead, use baby gates and other management strategies to prevent the puppies from bothering the older dog and make sure your older dog still gets plenty of your attention too.[/QUOTE]

i manage the adult dog very well the pups are not scared whats so ever of her. shes a chihuahua and they are already bigger than her. they think shes playing. the chihuahua just gets mad that ALL THE TOYS arent hers anymore. and i never scold them the closest i gett to scolding is firmly telling thrm "NO" for what ever they did. i realize theyre puppies but they barely started doing it a week or two ago when i moved my room around.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
they are great at getting on and off the bed. they havent had a problem with t since i removed the frame. theyre actually much better at using the pads than before. and the pad is a foot or two from the bed sometimes they use it and go down bu they mainly pee while im asleep!
Then they are not old enough yet to spend the whole night on the bed with you. They simply cannot "think" in the middle of the night... "oh, I need to pee, and should get down in the dark and go over to the pad and tinkle then get back up on the bed." That's too advanced for them at this age.

One thing you can do is put them in their crate(s) at night, right next to your bed, or their pen with a pad, if that is what they are used to.

Now keep in mind, that if you are pad training them, you are going to have a whole other, and harder step, teaching them to go outside, if that is eventually your goal. You see, once you have taught a puppy to pee inside on a pad, he/she will have this habit and will pee on anything absorbent indoors if a pad is not available.
So if you want to house train them to the outdoors, you are better off doing so from the start.
Read the link I gave you in the last post, for house training help and also some discussion of pad/paper training.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i agree with the whole " they dont think it through" but i leave a light on so that its not dark ( i myself hare the dark).. and theyve never peed on the bed before. unntil recently. im looking for a crate i dont live near stores with many crates. going looking today! and they do great ith the pads and the outdoors without the confusion. they know if theyre outide go. but if theyre inside theres a pad. since they ARE puppies they do make mistakes and pee else where about half the time. but they dont seem much confused. i dont know if this makes a difference. but theyve peed on US before. on your laps while were holding them and when wer're laying down. the vet said it could be that theyre trying to let my other animals know we're theirs?
thank you for your response!

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
and the pad is a foot or two from the bed sometimes they use it and go down bu they mainly pee while im asleep!
Makes sense. :roll eyes: When you're not doing anything fun or interesting they feel safe to take a potty-break without missing anything cool that you might do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i seems like they do it for attention! but the wrong attention.. they used to wake us up with kisses and little nibbles everywhere and playing. but now we wake up to hot puddles on the bed.. ewwwww. ill keep that in mind thank you ! i never really thought about that

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I don't know if this has been said or not, but I always make Merlin take a potty break before he gets on my bed.
If you don't mind me suggesting it, consider crating them at night until they are either sleeping through the night or until they are more reliable and then let them back on the bed.
My pup is 5 months and he still doesn't sleep in my bed, but I've started letting him join me after my alarm goes off at 7 and he's had a potty break. I'm not a morning person, so this also lets me go back to bed for a bit.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
i seems like they do it for attention! but the wrong attention.. they used to wake us up with kisses and little nibbles everywhere and playing. but now we wake up to hot puddles on the bed.. ewwwww. ill keep that in mind thank you ! i never really thought about that

Be careful with this sort of interpretation of doggy behavior. Not only is it unlikely to be accurate, but it also leads you as the owner to get annoyed with the puppies unnecessarily.

They are puppies. Puppies pee a lot. Its not any more complicated than that.

Again, they are too young to be sleeping in your bed all night. Now that there have been accidents, there is pee scent in the bed, so that increases the likelyhood they will pee there again.

They are not devious or spiteful or seeking attention by peeing. They are simply very young animals who need to tinkle, and they are tinkling. It is a bodily function. Keep it simple. ;)

House train them according to the directions, and look forward to when they are older and can sleep in your bed all night safely. :)

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
i agree with the whole " they dont think it through" but i leave a light on so that its not dark ( i myself hare the dark).. and theyve never peed on the bed before. unntil recently. im looking for a crate i dont live near stores with many crates. going looking today! and they do great ith the pads and the outdoors without the confusion. they know if theyre outide go. but if theyre inside theres a pad. since they ARE puppies they do make mistakes and pee else where about half the time. but they dont seem much confused. i dont know if this makes a difference. but theyve peed on US before. on your laps while were holding them and when wer're laying down. the vet said it could be that theyre trying to let my other animals know we're theirs?
thank you for your response!
Your vet is mistaken that they are peeing to mark you as theirs.

What you describe is not effective house training. If they are only making it to the pads half the time, they are not learning anything.

Save yourself future troubles. Read the house training sticky I linked you to earlier and go on a diligent program to follow it exactly. You have had them for a month and in that much time they could be nearly trained, but instead they have only learned to pee all over your room, sometimes on the pad. This is a bad thing, because house training is simply habit formation, and you have allowed the wrong habits to be instilled in them.

If you don't get started asap, you are going to have half grown dogs who pee all over the house and you'll be upset with them.

House training is not rocket science, but it does require a concerted effort on your part over a long period of time. Best to get started today.

Order a crate or two crates from Amazon and get them delivered to your house by UPS truck. This project cannot be delayed any further. Just friendly advice from someone who has seen far too many people botch this job and have all sorts of troubles later. ;)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Also, the advice and information @Tess gave you is spot on. I wish I'd listened when she told me the same thing about potty training. I ended up basically starting over on potty training when Merlin was 4 months old because the pads/indoor potty area was not working out as well. The result is that my puppy has learned what that feeling in his bladder or bowels means and he's consistently telling me when he needs to go out. I also taught him to ring a bell when he needs to go out.

It's much more beneficial for both you and the puppies to teach them to go on grass outside. I think you'll be happier if you do. I haven't had to clean up an accident inside since I removed all indoor potty options and have consistently taken him outside instead.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well they just turned three months. And I honestly think one of them is "slow" he has a "special" look in her eyes and she seems to no be able to understand where to go and why the pads for . But she seems to hermit at the same time. Ex: she'll go and smell on the pad and START peeing but then walks away to finish elsewhere.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Of course they don't "know" what the pads are for. Its not like they can read the box they come in. ;)

You have to teach the puppies where to go using training. That means rewarding with a tasty treat each and every time they go potty in the right place. It also means PREVENTING the puppies from going other places by your own management (using crates or an x-pen for example)

If all you are doing so far is providing pads and saying "good dog" when you see the puppy peeing on them, you are not ever going to get them trained.

Pretty please, go read the sticky note... for your puppies' sakes! :)
Maybe you did already, but if so, you are not showing signs yet of understanding it???

If you have questions, please ask. Lots of people here would be happy to help you.

When I see this sort of scenario going on, what I fear is 3 months from now, the humans in this household getting really frustrated because there are now two medium sized dogs pooping and peeing everywhere and the humans have no idea how to change this. Then the puppies get taken to the shelter and given up, perhaps to be euthanized.
Really, this is what we see here on DogForum. So that is why I am bugging you about it now, to get the house training program going asap.

Good luck. I will stop bugging you now, OK? ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts