Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the strangest thing.

He's currently 15 weeks old and has had his share of accidents. One that still confuses, and amuses me is when he'll pee inside when he can hear the outdoors (birds, cars, wind, etc.) The first time this happened I'd opened the sliding door in the living room where we kept him (with the screen closed of course). Well he was staring outside and all of a sudden he peed next to the door. I can't remember his age when this happened but I figured it to be just a normal accident.

It was maybe a few weeks later when he was at my in-laws and I took him out to their deck to let him out and he peed right there. He had previously peed in the grass in the backyard so he had already been introduced to the right place to pee. But the deck is fully surrounded by open windows and he might have heard the noises of the outside and thought that was where to go. He did it a few more times even when he would we'd quickly grab him and put him on the lawn.

Just today, I had the back door open again to air out the apartment because it's so darn stuffy from me not opening the door to avoid accidents (and him trying to eat bugs off the tracks) and he peed on the rug right next to the door. Thankfully it was the rug and not the carpet.

At his age I don't expect him to be fully potty trained and I know it's normal. But he's not had one for 2 weeks until now. The times he did have accidents it would be in other parts of the apartment too, the only time he'll pee by the door is if it's open. It's the funniest thing. I guess he doesn't yet understand the concept of peeing on grass and just goes when he hears the environment. I'm just going to continue to leave the door closed and only open it when he's in his crate, but has anyone else experienced this!?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Just today, I had the back door open again to air out the apartment because it's so darn stuffy from me not opening the door to avoid accidents (and him trying to eat bugs off the tracks) and he peed on the rug right next to the door. Thankfully it was the rug and not the carpet.

He is probably going to the door because he needs to go out. As far as knowing where to go you have to teach it. That means repetition not just taking him once to and area and expecting him to know this is it. Clicker training is great for teaching where to go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPiFcG7ROI

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being that he's still a puppy, I don't expect him to know where to go and I'm prepared for the normal accidents. As for him having to go - this wasn't that. 1.) He wasn't giving off his usual signals when he went 2.) He had just gone out 30 minutes before 3.) He never has accidents near the door. The only times he's done that was when the door was open and he could hear the outside environment.

I wasn't so much asking for what to do about the situation because I don't expect him to be a perfectly house trained dog at 15 weeks. I was more asking to see if anyone else experienced a dog peeing near an open window or door and some thoughts as to why it could be.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.