Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is well house broken, and only has an accident maybe every month, never any pooping problems in the house. But twice now in the last few months he has gotten on my bed (our bed, I allow him to sleep with me on the bed), scratched around a bit, and peed on it. Is this territorial marking, something common to male dogs? Or just my scent triggering something? 99% of the time when I let him up there while I'm still awake, he just sleeps. Tonight I was sitting at the computer and happened to look over moments after letting him up there and he was peeing. I know I probably should crate him at night, but from the time I got him at 8 weeks, he has slept with me, so he is pretty accustomed to sleeping in the bed, and I don't mind his company as he is typically a sound sleeper and doesn't interfere with my sleep. This may just be an occasional thing I'll have to deal with.

I forgot to mention, he is about 6 months old, still intact, and a Boxer mix if that matters.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Your 6 month old puppy is not marking. Puppies are so sweet, and it is tempting to give them privileges because they are so cute. But you must finish house training first.

Your dog is peeing on the bed and peeing in the house once a month because he can. He doesn't understand that peeing in the house is something that should never be done. Under any circumstance.

I would crate the puppy at night or at the very minimum take them off the bed for at least a month and heavily reward them for going outside. You have to stay on top of this now or you'll be cleaning up pee for the rest of your life.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My female pit bull has done that at two different times in her life:
The first was at 6 months, when my fiancé would come over to visit me. She would do it out of spite because I was annoying her and not giving her attention. She did it about 3 times over the span of 1/2 a year. Every time only when he was over. Eventually I instructed him to start petting her move, give her treats, she'd watch movies with her. So after they bonded it never happened again.

The second time it happened was when she was a year and a half. She did it twice in one week. Each time she ran, and acted like she felt terrible. She also wanted to be let out way more than usual. I then guessed it was probably a bladder infection, and it was. After she got her first few doses she was fine.

I believe (like humans) due to their longer urethra males are less prone to bladder infections. But at the same time, if it continues you may want to consult a vet.

Has anything changed in his environment when this started? Like my first instant it could be him "throwing a tantrum" in a way because he doesn't like something. Dogs have shown tendencies like these when another dog enters the house, something gets moved, etc. Could that be it? You did mention being on the computer when it happened once. Were you preoccupied all times that it happened?

Since he is still young, maybe limit his water intake before bed. Don't let him drink an hour before bed, make sure he is let outside before bed, and then let him sleep. He is a puppy and they do go potty a lot!

My last guess is due to him being an unfixed male he is just marking his territory.
Hope that helps a little!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts