Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I had a question about Orijen and feeding. As most of you know I have Levi (who turns 1 in like two and a half weeks, where did that year go?) Levi is currently getting fed Taste of the Wild, but I'm getting ready to transition him onto Orijen, since Raw is not really feasible at the moment, but hopefully next year we can get back to it.

We are picking up our puppy next Saturday (Yaaaay!), and I'm wondering if it would be the worst thing in the world to feed them both regular Orijen, or if it is an absolute necessity that the puppy gets puppy Orijen.

Thanks everyone. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe their lines are all life stages foods. Look for their guaranteed analysis. If it says it meets the nutritional needs for the AAFCO dog food nutrient profile for all life stages it can be feed to all ages. Also look out for a disclaimer on the bag that says you make need to add however much more for puppy. We feed Acana which is made by the same company as Orijen and on our bag it says to feed __ cups more than the adult amount depending on the puppy age.

I'm pretty sure all of their regional lines are all life stage. Good luck with the new puppy :)

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, Orijen is out. At least this particular variety. We bought a bag of Orijen Adult dog food (Adult Dog | Orijen
We gave Levi a few pieces (maybe four or five) to gauge his interest and he wolfed them down. Yay. We went outside for a pee break, and maybe 10 minutes later, we came back in and he threw up. Specifically 5 pieces of dog food and a duck foot he had been eating earlier. I thought maybe he had gotten into something, so didn't worry.

We gave him dinner, and gave him 3/4 cup old and 1/4 cup of new Orijen. We waited about 15 minutes, and loaded up in the car to go play some frisbee, and he puked in the backseat. No bile, or yucky stuff, just dog food.

So, I'm 99% sure it is the Orijen food which makes me sad. I'm not sure what is in it that could be upsetting him. I'm wondering if it is worth trying a different variety or if we should try another brand or just stick to what we have now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
It could be he's so excited about the orijen that he's eating too fast and it's causing an upset. Is the food digested or still kibble? I know when Tessa first started on Orijen she would swallow it hole and then promptly, or within 15-20 minutes upchuck the kibble whole; it didn't even have time to digest, which needs to at least partially occur for there to be a food related reaction.

I feed solely in things like buster cubes and kong wobbler now to slow her down. No more vomitting. Maybe give him a break for a couple of days and then slowly add an 1/8th to his food, or use it as treats to encourage to eat slower, and see what happens? If Orijen doesn't work, Acana is just as good and less rich if that's what's causing the issue.

Reactions: Sha
1 - 4 of 4 Posts