Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So I have a 12 week old Aussy Shepherd cross (lab/hhusky) She is a beautiful puppy, We love her to death!

Her bite inhibition is FANTASTIC! I did the "Ouch"/ignore trick to get her to stop actually biting.

But now she just opens her mouth wide and tries to put your hand in her mouth while being petted, almost at any chance. how do I teach her to keep her mouth closed all the time? She doesn't bite, just puts your hand in there. If you pet her back she tries to turn around and do the same thing.

Is this just because of the fact she is still a puppy and will grow out of that? or is there some training I can do to help her? (we got her at 8.5 weeks old)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
It sounds completely and totally normal for a puppy. She should grow out of it. Right now maybe when you go to pet her and she goes to mouth you, lead her nose away with a treat. If you keep trying to redirect her it should teach her not to mouth, and she'll naturally lose the desire to nip/chew on everything too. The fact she has good bite inhibition at this age is a good sign!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, her biting, is so very soft... unless she gets REALLY amped up. then its just a touch too hard, but then the "ouch" happens and she dials it down.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is normal too. I experienced the same thing with my pup. The ouch trick never worked for us, but removing myself away from her every time she bit me did wonders. I took it a step further and kept doing this even if she put her mouth on my hand. She did this a lot when I (or anyone) pet her, so I kept doing it to teach her it's not okay to nip (even softly or even put my hand in your mouth). It was important to me she didn't think people's hands/feet weren't toys even if she means no harm. I find that people around me tend to freak out if a dog's mouth is on their hand even if there's no bite/play nip. They immediately think OH MY GOD YOUR DOG BIT ME. My family often had family or friends over, so this was something I did not want her to do. Even when she got older, around 8-9 months, she sometimes gets mouthy once she's very excited, and I go back to the old trick. It reminds her "oh yeah, no human fingers in my mouth!"

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PookieNmari, Thats exactly what im doing now,

I figured "Hey it worked for biting, she has no idea it doesn't hurt me if she even opens her mouth at me." so after a couple of days she is super good! She only opens her mouth when she gets really playful but a simple ow and ignore works great!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Sancho still nibbles at my hands sometimes, when he's relaxed and i pet him or towel him off.
I think it's some kind of social behaviour "you clean me, so I'll clean you" paired with him just liking stuff im his mouth, when he's relaxed...he also nibbles at his blanket.
he also figured out ho he can "hold" your hand with his canines without hurting you...he uses this to "guide" us to the door, hen he really needs to do his business fast.
As long as she doesn't hurt you, I wouldn't think much about it. :)
some dogs just are more oral in their interaction than others.

Reactions: Okeedoke22
1 - 6 of 6 Posts