Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to get a pup later this year, and the breeder I've picked is in Ohio (I'm in Florida). I had planned to have the pup flown down at 8 weeks old. I've learned from this site (thanks to you all! :thumbsup:) that pups have a "fear imprinting" stage from 8 - 10 weeks old, where negative experiences can have a huge impact. I'm really concerned about the possible negative consequences of exposure to the loud sounds, unfamiliar smells and activity, and being all alone and in the dark during the flight (even though it's a short trip, timewise). I have a friend who had his PBGV flown down from a breeder up north. His dog is now 13 years old and has been terrified of loud sounds (storms, fireworks) her whole life. Do you think there's a connection? Storms could sound like a plane engine to a dog, I suppose. Would it be advisable to fly up there, and then fly back with the puppy in the cabin with me? Or am I just starting to get "overprotective nervous mommy" syndrome?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
One of our dogs we drove 12 hours each way to pick up so as not to put him on a plane. He is the one with fear issues.

Our other dog flew here and she is just fine.

So In my experience there is no correlation.

A breeder I really trust actually recommends flying pups. I will link her article for you when I am back at my computer
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks, Tess - you're very helpful!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I can't speak from experience, but I actually just had a friend fly in a boxer pup from Germany a few weeks ago. Her pup came off the plan completely unphased and is an extremely adventurous, confident, and all around awesome little girl. So the experience didn't affect her at all.

I personally think at least one of my future boxers will be a euro import, but that's a long way off...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, Tess - great information! I feel better about flying the pup down - thanks!

·
Registered
574 Posts
My pup just flew in from Oregon two weeks ago. I opted not to put him in cargo in large part due to the extreme heat we are having right now. A friend of mine went to Oregon to get him and bring him back to Oklahoma in cabin. He was just fine on the flight. I would not have wanted him to be in cargo with temps on the tarmac reaching upwards of 125 degrees. I might have opted to fly him in cargo during the more temperate spring and fall months though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't speak from experience, but I actually just had a friend fly in a boxer pup from Germany a few weeks ago. Her pup came off the plan completely unphased and is an extremely adventurous, confident, and all around awesome little girl. So the experience didn't affect her at all.

I personally think at least one of my future boxers will be a euro import, but that's a long way off...
That's good to know. Thanks - I just have "new mommy" syndrome - you've made me feel better.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This forum is the best - everybody's so helpful! I'm very impressed :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Absolutely don't let a puppy fly in Cargo!
Delta airlines flew our Tessa in the pressurized part of the plane.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Absolutely don't let a puppy fly in Cargo!
Delta airlines flew our Tessa in the pressurized part of the plane.
Actually, if your puppy is flying with baggage, it is flying cargo. The only two options are cargo or cabin. I had to study this rather extensively when I was looking at flying my sheltie to compete at the FCI World Agility Championships in South Africa this year, something I declined to do after researching flying a dog to South Africa.

Most large aircraft have pressurized and temp controlled cargo, however some of the smaller aircraft do not.

How to Minimize Risk to a Pet in the Cargo Area of an Airplane

So if your dog has flown in anything but the cabin, he has flown cargo. :) The concern is if the temp or pressure in the cargo area does not work properly. There is nothing they can apparently do in-flight to fix this, and that is why when flying a puppy or a dog, a health certificate from your vet is required showing your dog is healthy enough to endure VERY large temperature swing.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Thanks AgilityK9Trainer. That's good information.

My understanding was that Tessa was flown in the cabin, in an area behind the cockpit. She was also "hand carried" from the plane to the ticket area where we were waiting for her. So she was not put in the baggage handling system at all.

Maybe this is special for puppies only? Or maybe it is Delta Airlines?

I don't think my SIL's labrador had such nice accommodations when he was flown to Europe.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
There are many different animal shipping "packages" you can pay for that vary by airline, but regardless, regulations require that they are flown in pressurized and temp controlled areas of the plane. Additionally, airlines cannot fly an animal outside of the main cabin if there are either cold or hot temperature extremes. This is often due, not due to the on flight conditions but the wait while the crates on on the loading carts outside the plan. Many also have limits on brachy breeds.

Here are some examples of how the airlines put the regulations into action and each airline will have similar info: Pet Travel Requirements & Restrictions | Delta Air Lines
United Airlines - Travel for animals

I read the blog and she raises some good points, but I still think it's more ideal for buyers to be able to see the premises and meet the animals so they can be sure they aren't supporting puppy mills and bybers.

IF you really trust/know your breeder, I think shipping is fine for many dogs/pups. Of course, I wouldn't recommend flying a pup alone if it is timid/shy. I would also recommend your breeder accustom your pup to a crate before shipping.

If you drive to pick up, it's just common sense not to take the pup onto public areas for breaks--if a buyer is too clueless to know about that, then I'd question whether or not they are ready for a pup anyways. And a breeder concerned about bio-security can easily implement foot bathes, hand washing, scrubs/overshirts, a visitor area, etc.

As far as shipping pups personally, we have had puppies shipped/flown to us, flown out puppies ourselves, had people pick up/drive, and had people pick-up/fly pup as carry on. All of our pups have been fine upon arrival whether with us or their new owners. We plan for phone calls b/w breeder/owner when the pup is checked in and on arrival, and we have phone numbers for the customer service at each location for our airline/cargo service to keep tabs on what is going on.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Most airlines that ship live animals - like Delta - won't allow pets even in the pressurized cargo area once temps anywhere along the route reach 85 or higher, or below freezing, depending on the time of the year. It's a precaution because even though the animals are in pressurized/temp-controlled areas, if the plane sits for long periods of time on the tarmac at some airport along the way, the temps inside can still get very hot (or cold).

My Cobber came to me via a long trip from Idaho to Minnesota to Pennsylvania. He was 8 weeks at the time, made the trip like a champ and has had absolutely no fear issues since I got him. Like Tess said, I think there's probably very little if any correlation to fear just from the flight. It looked to me like Cobber was treated very well by the airline folks who handle the animals, and the fellow who handed him over to me at the Pittsburgh airport said Cobber was the best-behaved pup he'd ever seen (little did I know how much that would change - LOL!).

Long-winded way of saying that I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding airline travel and puppy fears later on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts