Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5/6 month old Lhasa, who is obsessed with eating these little mushrooms that are all over my lawn. The first time I saw her do it, I called the vet and he instructed me to administer hydrogen peroxide until she vomited. I have had to do that at least 5 times in the last month, and we are at the point where she can't even go in the yard because she immediately takes off and sniffs these out and eats them. She can't even go out to potty anymore. I think I had the dumbest dog in the world, and am totally at my wit's end because now she is peeing and pooping in the house since she can't use the yard. Is this normal? I have no idea if the mushrooms are poisonous or not or if this is normal behavior. My vet says: "Puppies are idiots. She will out grow it." As far as I know, there is no safe way to eradicate mushrooms from the lawn. HELP!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
917 Posts
Take her out on a leash, that's about all you can do. Also teach leave it and drop it. Two very important things every dog should know. I'd be very careful with the mushrooms, some can be very toxic. And some mushrooms are very hard to tell apart without a sport print. Sometimes even the experts have a hard time telling some apart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
might be a good idea to get a book on mushrooms and find out how to tell the toxic ones from the non-toxic ones. Most lawn mushrooms are non-toxic.... but every once in a while a nasty one can show up in the yard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,177 Posts
I agree, your best bet is to take her out on leash. Is it possible to get rid of the mushrooms?
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top