Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is 4 months old and has been in house. Npw I take him in walks at his poop time but he doesnt poop out. As soon as we go home, he will poop at his poop place. Could someone advice me what I can do?

·
Registered
280 Posts
How long are the walks and how frequent? Does he get any off-leash time? Some dogs aren't comfortable toileting while on a leash. Does he pee outside?

Sometimes the enzymes still linger if they toilet in the same spot which attracts them to do their business there again. Try cleaning the area with an enzymatic cleaner, fencing it off or adding a deterrent like white vinegar on the area to curb the behaviour. This will only work if he is given the sufficient time and place to toilet outside though, otherwise he will just pick a new spot.

·
Super Moderator
8,213 Posts
I'd add, whenever you see him pooing, say a word as he is doing it that you will later use to cue the behaviour. Follow it with a reward as soon as he has finished. When he connects the word to the toileting, and the toileting to the reward, you can say the word outside when you know he will be ready to toilet and he should perform in order to get the reward.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My puppy is 4 months old and has been in house. Npw I take him in walks at his poop time but he doesnt poop out. As soon as we go home, he will poop at his poop place. Could someone advice me what I can do?
Dogs are creatures of habit. It sounds like he's had a few months in the house to develop the habit of doing his business consistently in one spot, so I'd expect it to take a while to retrain him to go consistently elsewhere.

If he's been regular about returning to 'his spot' after walks, I'd probably first try walking him there on leash at the end of the walk and at the first indication he wants to defecate, continue back outside to wherever you want him to do his business. If you've been using pee pads, I'd take that along outside also as part of a transition period. Aside from that, blocking off the indoor area at other times and making sure it doesn't smell should help to discourage accidents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts