Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My coworker couldn't care for her puppy and I volunteered to take him from her. The puppy is a 4 month old Shih Tzu Maltese mix. I have a 2 year old Shih Tzu at home. The puppy always chases around my shih tzu and tries to bite/nibble her. I know this is probably just a way that the puppy is playing but my Shih Tzu does not like it and barks/growls at the puppy.

Otherwise my shih tzu is always very calm around other dogs and people.
Any tips on how I can get my puppy to stop being so hyper and chase after my shih tzu?

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you other dog is not super aggressive. Let the little puppy get disciplined by the older dog. Its the best way for the puppy to learn that being to ruff with the older dog is going to get her in trouble. If your dog is a little aggressive, you can try this. When she starts to get jumpy....etc say "Fun over" and place the puppy in a bathroom for a few minutes. then let her out and repeat if she starts to jump and get silly again. You are doing time out. It may take some time for her to pick it up but she will in time.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree with letting the puppy be disciplined by the dog if the dog is not too aggressive, but also make sure to give the dog some puppy free time too.
She will be more tolerant if she isn't expected to deal with it 24/7

1 - 3 of 3 Posts