Dog Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is a 6 month old large breed mix. For the past two months it's been very hard to get him to eat. One day I just noticed he wasn't eating his kibble anymore. I was worried so I started doing everything I could to make it seem more appetizing so he would eat. I've tried changing the brand of kibble, tried adding bone broth, tried wet food, tried adding fish oil, tried making homemade food. Adding things does seem to make him more likely to eat, but even then he doesn't seem very interested and on some days I've had to sit with him and hand feed him to get him to eat at all. This is getting expensive and I really wish he would just eat his kibble. These past couple of days, I've been just feeding him his kibble and he just won't eat like he should. He's on Nulo Medalseries Large Breed Puppy right now, and according to his weight and age he should be getting 4 cups a day. Today, I could only convince him to eat one cup. He's been to the vet a month ago and while I didn't bring this specific topic up, he was there because he had thrown up and they ran some tests and said nothing was wrong with him. I'm at a loss of what to do and why this is happening. I'm super worried because he's a puppy and without the proper nutrition it could cause a lot of problems down the line. Any help is appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
6,537 Posts
Would he work for his food? Sometimes if you use a puzzle feeder it seems to add value because they feel they are 'earning' it.

What is his body condition like? It's around this age that growing slows, maybe he just doesn't need as much?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
It seems you have tried a lot of different things, including canned (wet) food, so continuing to try different things is probably not going to do it. I advise against hand feeding just because that can become a habit....if he is willing to eat that way and you keep it up, he can become a dog who won't eat unless hand fed.

Even though you went to the vet a month ago I would go again, or perhaps even seek a different opinion. since you didn't mention his not eating last time you were there, the vet may have ideas of things to look at or test for that he didn't do the last time. Now that this has continued for a while, I would encourage you to have the vet take a look again, and perhaps they can also advise you on things to try.

A dog won't eat for any number of reasons, many of them medical in nature, so it's worth getting him checked out with that specific problem in mind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would he work for his food? Sometimes if you use a puzzle feeder it seems to add value because they feel they are 'earning' it.

What is his body condition like? It's around this age that growing slows, maybe he just doesn't need as much?
I'm not sure what you mean by body condition. The vet said he's at a healthy weight. His growth has definitely slowed down but he's still growing, and the vet expects him to get quite a bit bigger. I've honestly just been feeding him according to the back of the bag. But I think maybe using a puzzle feeder will help- I didn't even think of that! Do you have any specific recommendations on ones you or someone you know has used?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems you have tried a lot of different things, including canned (wet) food, so continuing to try different things is probably not going to do it. I advise against hand feeding just because that can become a habit....if he is willing to eat that way and you keep it up, he can become a dog who won't eat unless hand fed.

Even though you went to the vet a month ago I would go again, or perhaps even seek a different opinion. since you didn't mention his not eating last time you were there, the vet may have ideas of things to look at or test for that he didn't do the last time. Now that this has continued for a while, I would encourage you to have the vet take a look again, and perhaps they can also advise you on things to try.

A dog won't eat for any number of reasons, many of them medical in nature, so it's worth getting him checked out with that specific problem in mind.
I think I will take him back... honestly the vet I went to is the one in Petsmart because it was the only one in my area that had open availabilites on the day I took him... and I know they don't have the best reputation. So maybe it's time to see someone else. 😅

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I think I will take him back... honestly the vet I went to is the one in Petsmart because it was the only one in my area that had open availabilites on the day I took him... and I know they don't have the best reputation. So maybe it's time to see someone else. 😅
A second opinion doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The directions on the back of dog food bags is usually more food than they need. Some dogs will eat better if just given a smaller amount and feeding more often if they need weight on them.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I agree, Banfield (Petsmart) has the bottom of the barrel when it comes to vets!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not listed in dogfoodadvisor.com either....I will take a pass.
I'm not sure what you're refrencing exactly, but if it's the food I mentioned that he's on right now it is listed on dogfoodadvisor which is one of the reasons I picked it! 😂 The whole Nulo Medalseries is listed on dogfoodadvisor with a 5/5. The specific large breed puppy isn't included in the list, but that's only because it wasn't out at the time. It also was one of the few that wasn't SUPER expensive that had a decent (not the best) salt divide. I also make food for him sometimes, but I include kibble because I'm not a nutrionist and I want to make sure he's getting all the vitamins and minerals he'd need. :) If I misunderstood what you're talking about then please excuse my rant lol 😅

·
Super Moderator
6,537 Posts
I'm not sure what you're refrencing exactly, but if it's the food I mentioned that he's on right now it is listed on dogfoodadvisor which is one of the reasons I picked it! 😂 The whole Nulo Medalseries is listed on dogfoodadvisor with a 5/5. The specific large breed puppy isn't included in the list, but that's only because it wasn't out at the time. It also was one of the few that wasn't SUPER expensive that had a decent (not the best) salt divide. I also make food for him sometimes, but I include kibble because I'm not a nutrionist and I want to make sure he's getting all the vitamins and minerals he'd need. :) If I misunderstood what you're talking about then please excuse my rant lol 😅
The comment @Buzzu2 made was in response to a post about a different brand, which we deleted as we believed it to be spam. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. My comment was directed at someone who appeared to be promoting another food..not the one that you mentioned

1 - 15 of 15 Posts