Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have an Australian Shepard and Poodle mix, about 12 weeks old. Day 3 at our home today and the puppy finally ate almost a quarter cup of food. Seems like it's not enough to me but I've never had a dog that wasn't very enthusiastic about feeding time. This dog takes 2 or three bites at a time and is done.
I'm feeding a quarter cup of dry food with 2 spoons of soft and a bit of water added to soften the hard kibble as he's clearly never had it before and wouldn't eat the dry stuff alone.

Any thoughts? Ideas? He's so little but I'm afraid he's not eating enough. I have a vet appointment scheduled for next week but would love some feedback before then.

Thanks!

Also, if anyone has tips regarding puppy mouthing and babies I'd love some advice there too! My son is 9 months old and the puppy gets so excited I frequently have to put the pup in time out until he calms down (I put him in a pack n play). He also likes to try and ride the baby as he's crawling, which is pretty hilarious, but totally unacceptable (hasn't hurt him yet, but he'll get bigger!).

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Don't be too surprised by the lack of eating. This is a big change, and he's only been there three days. My Aussie didn't really eat very much until day 6 or 7. Put the food down, wait 5-10 minutes, and then pick it up. Offer it again at the next meal time. Dogs won't starve themselves, don't worry. :)

I keep my puppies on an old leash (without a loop handle so they don't get stuck/caught on anything) and let them drag it around. That way if they start being naughty, it is easily to take the leash and lead them to a more appropriate activity.
Do not allow any rough play between the puppy and the baby, because you're right, the puppy is going to get much bigger much faster than your son. If he mouths the baby, remove him and play with a toy. If he goes back to mouthing the baby, put him in a crate/playpen for a few minutes. I will say, make sure YOU are addressing mouthiness with him too, he needs to know how to soften his bite, and have decreased bite pressure.
Is he in any sort of socialization class?

Reactions: BeethovenBootCamp

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 16 week Australian Shepherd poodle mix hardly eats at all either! I have a recent thread about it somewhere on here. We haven't figured it out yet. We've tried many brands, wet food, hiding treats on it, moistening with warm water, leaving it out all day, and picking it up after 10 minutes. The vet assured me he wouldn't starve but did agree that he seems bony. He did do a fecal exam to check for worms. Maybe that's something you could request? His coat and eyes and everything look healthy otherwise, so I'm trying not to worry. That's not very helpful, but anyway, you're not alone!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

@Shandula - Thank you, it's good to know he won't just starve himself, I was pretty concerned, I suppose it really hasn't been all that long.
I did start keeping him on leash tethered to me for a portion of the day yesterday, I think it really helped for him to have to watch the baby crawl without being able to engage. I didn't do it for the whole day as the poor pup needs to sleep! But it definitely helped. Every time he did start to try to play with the baby (he does mouth VERY lightly, but I still don't want him to get excited and carried away. It wouldn't take much to hurt baby skin), I made a sharp noise and removed the pup for a time out (of course this scared the baby every time I did it *sigh* lol)

He is not in any socialization classes at this time, I am waiting until after his first vet appointment and rabies shot before I bring him around so many dogs - though where I got him from there were several breeds around so he's definitely been socialized in the past.
@MissBirdie
I've been trying giving food in different ways as well. I find it strange that my puppy only goes potty twice a day and eats a quarter cup of food or less- I worry he must be dehydrated/hungry/something? Doesn't seem to bother him at all though. I had the same thought about the possibility of worms and plan to bring a fecal sample to his first vet visit so they can get him tested, great idea. It does help not to be alone, I appreciate the responses!

Have you been doing training with your pup? I was trying to give a few days to settle before I really start training but I have no idea how to motivate a dog who's not into food. I got training treats yesterday and he eats one treat about as fast as a cat does, lol. Not going to work very well for training if I have to wait a full minute every time I give a treat and then he decides he doesn't need a second one! ha.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@Lyssah - There are puppy socialization classes where all puppies have the same number of shots, so they are safe to play with each other. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
It look a lot of trial and error to find treats that Pal would gobble quickly and happily, and I always break them into the smallest pieces possible. The winners for Pal are cheese sticks, dried lamb liver, and bil jac peanut butter gooberlicious soft treats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts