Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I knew that dogs had dreams but I definitely learned they have nightmares just like us. 3am rolled around and Max woke up barking like a mad man we are on the second floor of a secured building so I know that he didnt hear someone. He was so happy when I picked him up kisses all around. Just kinda chatting since I can't sleep now.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
My friend and I were talking about this at work the other day, wondering what animals dreamed about. Do they dream about normal situations or do they have crazy dreams like we do? Like, when her feet are twitching, is she chasing a squirrel, or is she flying?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Dogs can hear sounds that we cannot, and some sound travels for quite a distance. There is no question that dogs dream, but I'm not sure exactly what the barking was a response to.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I was just talking to my daughter about puppy dreams. My JuJu was having some sort of puppy dream and our older Yorkie was just looking at him to make sure he was okay. Finally, he reached out a paw and just put it on JuJu's stomach to calm him. It was so adorable.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Used to take the minpin to gopher fields and let him go. After an hour or so of running and digging, he would literally crater in the car. Dreams? For sure. Laying on his side, little legs just a runnin', barking, growling. Probably reliving chasing the gophers, cutest thing.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
They definitely dream, and I'm sure some dreams are scary to them. I certainly have seen Samantha dream and sometimes seems to react in fear. After she always seems so happy to be awake and leaning against us.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
My dogs will often twitch or yip or 'run' /move their legs while sleeping, but it looks like they are having good dreams.

But both HaHa and Jaya also have what I call nightmares. Jaya was very abused by her former owner and sometimes when she's asleep and starts to dream, it looks like she's flinching and yelps as if in pain. I'll softly call her name and do it a little louder until she wakes up. I just wonder if she does have some kind of dream memory/flashback of some bad treatment.

HaHa...as far as I know, he wasn't abused...but... sometimes when he's asleep, out of No Where - he will let out the Loudest, longest drawn out howl I've ever heard a dog make. It almost sounds like a howl of pain....or desperation. It scares the ever living bejabbers out of me whenever he does it....because there's no build up...it starts out loud and gets louder and goes on and on.

I do the same thing with him...will call his name to try to wake him up.

Both dogs when they wake up, look a bit confused but quickly look around and then seem to relax and will usually put their heads down again and go back to sleep.

Stormy

Reactions: TruckersMom
1 - 7 of 7 Posts