Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALL the time one sees posts about new puppy owners and they are usually shell shocked about the new responsibilities, lack of time, lack of sleep while at the same time saying they want and love their new puppy.

For people, a full time live in nanny for their children is an expensive proposition,but there are certainly a lot of them around, and a lot of part time nannies as well, so the process of finding them, checking them out, etc. is somewhat established and there are even agencies devoted to helping new parents hire nannies.

I was just musing as to whether puppy nannies might catch on if they were suitably background checked and screened to match the families they would be helping. Unlike children who sometimes will have a nanny until they are in their teens, a puppy nanny would probably stay with a family for only 2-4 months, until the puppy slept through the night, and became comfortable with its surroundings.

I can't help but think that an enterprising young person who opened a puppy nanny agency might do well, especially if the nanny offered extras such as taking the pup to the vet for vaccinations, shopping for dog food, and as well as taking the pup out to potty, would spend extra time playing so that when the working parents came home the pup would not be spazzing out with unspent puppy energy.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
It's out there. I actually work for a company that has "pet nanny" in the name. And the next two nights I'm actually spending the night with a puppy. However it's really more of typical pet sitting and dog walking rather than being a nanny like one for children. However I have heard of some ridiculously wealthy people that hire full time care for their dogs and even cats.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I did this for a few years... Wasn't live-in, but I raised a puppy to adulthood and oversaw grooming/vet appointments, puppy classes, private training, walks, toys and supplies purchase. Yes, it is a thing. Definitely a luxury service however. For the cost, most people are happy just sending their dog to a daycare. You will find the rare person who can afford such a service who will be a fairly loyal client though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts