Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a puppy mill dog that I don't know how to begin making her trust me. She is the second and I didn't have problems at all with my first rescue.
She is scared to death of me, but sleeps with me and hubby. She sits nearby, but if I move, she starts scrambling. She also follows me around. I quit looking in her eyes, thinking maybe that was scaring her, but it doesn't seem much different. I've tried to take her on a leash and she plants her feet and if I want her to move, I have to drag her. My husband has had a little better luck with her. :(
I try to give her a bite of something and she seldom takes it, but will take it a little better if she sees the other dogs taking it. She does not do well with potty training. I was advised to not take her thinking I would be able to love her enough that she would love me. She won't stay in the crate for long before she barks. (I'm too much of a softie.)
How can I proceed with her?
Has anyone had any success with these dogs? I've had her almost 2 mos and I am just making ant steps, but its better than it was.
Please help with any and all suggestions! Thank you!:huddle:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think because of her history, patience will be the key. I imagine she has spent her entire life in a small wire cage, going to the bathroom when she needed to and then having to lay in it :( She needs to learn that she can have a clean bed and can potty outside. I think consistency in terms of getting her outside will help, though if she is terrified, I have no advice for that. I am sure the experts here will help with idea for that. She has had little or no exposure to anything other than a cage and having puppies so everything is new for her- every sound, smell, texture/surface, etc. Tiny baby steps is the key I think. Maybe google puppy mill rescue rehabilitation or something like that and see what comes up. Good luck.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Puppy mill rescues are usually a challenge for new owners because of a lack of socialization for the pup at a crucial age. It will just take a lot of patience :)

As for the potty training, to follow what the previous poster said, yeah, often crate training does not work because they have been accustomed to 'doing their business' in their beds. Instead, you can keep her with you at all times in the house by following her or keeping her tied to you on a long leash. At the first sign she needs to go (circling, sniffing, etc), whisk her outside. You may get some dribble on your shoes, lol. Treat her after she goes outside. You mention she is reluctant to take treats from you - try cooked chicken or other meat...that would hard for most dogs to resist.

The rest is time and patience...and a lot of rewards. Giving her a bully stick or raw bone would help her chew and calm herself down in stressful situations. Apparently chewing releases some chemical in their brains that helps to relax them.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts