Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read article after article about how to stop this behavior, but none of it is very cut and dry and clear to me. They all basically say to encourage acceptable behavior and discourage unacceptable behavior.... well duh! But how? If I praise her whenever she's not biting, can a dog really link the praise to what it's NOT doing? It's also not peeing in the house at that moment, it's also not jumping up at that moment, it's not doing a million things, so how does she know that she's being praised for not biting?

It's all cute because she's a puppy and it doesn't hurt, but it won't be so cute when she's full grown and bites someone's toddler. So I want to put a stop to this ASAP. Any successful methods out there you'd like to share?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
The simple answer is that its all about prevention and patterning. ALWAYS have a soft toy to shove in her mouth when you are engaging with her. Keep your hands, feet, voice quiet and don't get her all wound up. Make the toy the more enticing stimulus. If you have to, smear a bit of peanut butter on the toy. Never use your hands as playthings, so don't ruffle her up with your hands such that she wants to play with your hands as she would another puppy.

If she gets wild and starts biting your pants, sleeves, etc. calmly disengage from her, walk away, leave her in a "time out" for a minute or two.

The good news is puppies grow up and don't need to bite everything all the time. :)

If you check out some of the "puppy biting" threads (do a site search) you'll find some video links on how to train a la Kikopup methods. Or go to kikopup's channel and do a site search there.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I did something similar with my puppies. If they got too mouthy, even if it wasn't biting, I just got up and walked away and ignored them..instantly. Right when they put their mouths on me, I stood up and turned my back to them to ignore them. Once they settled, I'd praise them and encourage more playing. They learned that when they wanted to engage with me, they had to keep their mouths off my skin.

This was big with my rotty since they are naturally a mouthy breed, and I never want a stranger to get the wrong impression from her since she isn't the slightest bit aggressive.

It worked though. Now my rotty just nuzzles me instead of nipping or "gumming" me (since she never actually bit down.)

My coworker had a nipping pit bull puppy and she found that putting a toy in his mouth to distract his energy into something positive worked for him. Now he picks up his own toy when he wants to play so he's learned to control his own oral fixation this way. So it's all based on the dog which methods will work best.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've started keeping toys nearby to give to her when she wants to nibble me. I haven't tried ignoring her yet, but it's something I'll start doing. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
You could try doing some treat training as well. Its super simple, hold treats in hand and let your dog go to town. Stopping of course if it starts to hurt. When the dog backs up start to open your hand, if she starts towards your hand quickly close it. When she backs completely off give her a treat. Eventually she will begin to associate backing off and not eating your hand gets her a treat. So by not going after what she wants she gets what she wants... This impulse control helped greatly with my puppy! It could work for you.

Good luck! working on it now while she's young is the way to go!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Have you tried 'Yelping' when she mouths you? Make her think that shes hurt you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have heard the same thing about yelping. If you let out a loud cry it usually stops them. The same thing happens when you watch puppies play and bite each other-the yelp usually makes them stop. After I would yelp I would say "no biting". I have rotties also, biting or mouthing was not acceptable from when they were babies.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you tried 'Yelping' when she mouths you? Make her think that shes hurt you.
Yes I have. And not every time was a fake yelp. It does nothing. It doesn't phase her a bit, she just keeps on gnawing away.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have heard the same thing about yelping. If you let out a loud cry it usually stops them. The same thing happens when you watch puppies play and bite each other-the yelp usually makes them stop. After I would yelp I would say "no biting". I have rotties also, biting or mouthing was not acceptable from when they were babies.
I must admit, we did this since ours was a puppy, and the same as you debpass, we said no biting....... but he still mouths us when he gets excited but does know, exactly, what no biting means!! So not totally cured.....

I cant help thinking perhaps its bred into them, as a guard dog?
Maybe Im wrong?.......:confused:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes I have. And not every time was a fake yelp. It does nothing. It doesn't phase her a bit, she just keeps on gnawing away.
Well I dont know then. We made sure it was a good loud highpitched yelp, to make him jump!!;)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
The yelp is only half the equation. The yelp is a marker of the moment she bites you. You must follow that marker with attention removal. When you yelp, immediately rip your hands away and hold them close to you, turn your head and disengage the dog for a few seconds If the dog continues despite your pause yelp again then STAND UP and LEAVE the room for a moment. Then start over. Lather rinse repeat.

You do not have to yelp. Any sound works. Just be consistant. The sound just is a marker of the moment your punishing with your attention removal
Posted via Mobile Device

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The yelp is only half the equation. The yelp is a marker of the moment she bites you. You must follow that marker with attention removal. When you yelp, immediately rip your hands away and hold them close to you, turn your head and disengage the dog for a few seconds If the dog continues despite your pause yelp again then STAND UP and LEAVE the room for a moment. Then start over. Lather rinse repeat.

You do not have to yelp. Any sound works. Just be consistant. The sound just is a marker of the moment your punishing with your attention removal
Posted via Mobile Device
I will start doing this immediately. Thanks Crios!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes i have heard of this too. I saw it on 'Its Me Or The Dog'. Have you ever heard of it? It a television programme and it gives really good asvice on stopping bad dog behaviour.
They basically say to let out a loud and high pitched 'OUCH!' or 'EEK!' and they become alert. I personally haven't tried this but it may just work for you. With my pup still teething if he starts chewing my hands i replace it with a toy he likes. He still does it occasionally but he is doing much better than he was.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes i have heard of this too. I saw it on 'Its Me Or The Dog'. Have you ever heard of it? It a television programme and it gives really good asvice on stopping bad dog behaviour.
They basically say to let out a loud and high pitched 'OUCH!' or 'EEK!' and they become alert. I personally haven't tried this but it may just work for you. With my pup still teething if he starts chewing my hands i replace it with a toy he likes. He still does it occasionally but he is doing much better than he was.
Yeah, Ive seen it, with Victoria whats-her-face.
I think its only on in the UK?:)

Victoria Stilwell.
http://positively.com/

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
My puppy bites a lot and he bites HARD. He's ripped a pair of my jeans and my pajama bottoms. He's also torn apart my flip flops :(. We've tried the treat thing....didn't work. He would attack me like crazy, I have lots of bruises on my arms from him biting me. We also tried the yelp thing and he didn't care one bit that I took my hands away and got up away from him. The second I came back, he ran towards me and bit my leg. Is there any other advice someone can lend my way? Hopefully a trick that actually works? Before anyone starts accusing me of not training my puppy correctly...I've read so many articles and followed all training tips exactly the way I was supposed to. My puppy seems to be a bit on the aggressive side, I need help!! :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts