Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know puppies can get into things and eat what they shouldn't, but this has become a dangerous fetish of my 5-month GSP pup: Underwear.

No, she doesn't chew them, she swallows them whole--like a snake! (She also does this with hair ties and scrunchies)

We are very lucky that she always throws them up in about a day... but I'm really worried that someday she won't throw it up and it will get stuck in her intestines.

I'm trying to be really careful in not leaving them around, keeping her away from laundry hampers, etc... but when I'm folding clothes I think sometimes that's when she steals a pair and next thing I know it's gone!

Any ideas on stopping this potentially fatal activity?:confused:

·
Registered
202 Posts
That's really scary! All I can think of is more management. Maybe keep her in another room or occupied with a kong or similar when you're folding laundry. Keep hampers in closets.
Teaching a good leave command would be a possibility too but you'd still have to really manage situations. If you don't see her go at them you can't ask for her to leave it obviously.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I leave the room whenever my puppy has been out of my sight for more than 10 seconds if he doesn't recall when I call him. Upstairs in the kids' rooms is the one place he doesn't like to come back from on his own.

I have still lost a hair brush, and a stuffed animal or two following accidental couch naps, but staying on top of him has worked well.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Management, management, management.

Honestly, if it's that fun for him to eat them I think it's going to be hard to break any other way than constant vigilance, and because this is a potentially life threatening behavior constant vigilance is warranted.

I would suggest investing in some puppy gates and hampers that will keep him out- even hiding laundry bags in garbage cans with snapping lids if necessary and making sure everyone in the house (adults, children, and any house guests) know this is something he does and know the severity of the behavior and how careful they must be. Use a gate when folding/handling laundry or tether him to furniture so he can't reach it and gate any room where he's likely to find underwear laying around (ie, kids rooms or rooms where guests are staying, even your bedroom when you're not home). I'd also try to work on a good down/stay or sit/stay and leave it behavior to be able to head off his underwear stealing fetish.

Hopefully this is something he'll grow out of.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know puppies can get into things and eat what they shouldn't, but this has become a dangerous fetish of my 5-month GSP pup: Underwear.

No, she doesn't chew them, she swallows them whole--like a snake! (She also does this with hair ties and scrunchies)

We are very lucky that she always throws them up in about a day... but I'm really worried that someday she won't throw it up and it will get stuck in her intestines.

I'm trying to be really careful in not leaving them around, keeping her away from laundry hampers, etc... but when I'm folding clothes I think sometimes that's when she steals a pair and next thing I know it's gone!

Any ideas on stopping this potentially fatal activity?:confused:
Crate her when you are doing laundry. Just like babies, you have to puppy proof everything. If you know when she's doing this, you have to prevent it in the first place. Trust me, I have a lab who will grab anything if she has the opportunity and she will eat it too. She loves cloth, and because of this she can't have bedding lol. Just a plain ol crate with some toys. Otherwise shed end up in emergency with a blockage and surgery. Unfortunately you can't stop a dog from being a dog. I'm constantly teaching the command "leave it" but that doesn't always work.

·
Registered
176 Posts
In addition to what everyone else said, another command to teach her would be "Drop it". You'll need to teach this with treats/rewards that are more valuable than what she is holding though. Best to teach in controlled situations with approved dog items, then should crossover to anything eventually. Years ago, my GSD was about to swallow a golf ball some kid threw into the yard earlier that day. "Drop it" saved the day. Good for those things you don't catch in time for "Leave it". But for now, I would just keep her crated or in a pen until the laundry is put away. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts