Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bella wears her harness only at night and when I take her outside. I use it at night because she sleeps with me since she always cried in the crate all night long keeping everyone up and she is so cold natured she sleeps better with me. I use a leash tied to my headboard in a way so she cannot reach one side of the bed, and I would wake up if she climbed over me to reach the other side. We have been doing this since she was 2 months old I never do it without a harness as I know how she pulls when she is ready to get up. anyway I woke up this morning to harness number 5 destroyed. I cannot afford to keep buying harnesses. The last one only lasted 3 weeks, I have spend over 30$ on harnesses, and I cannot buy another. I don't know how to stop her from chewing on her harnesses, It's getting frustrating because I am wasting money due to her chewing. She chews on everything, she gets paper off our kitchen table she gets stuff off my dresser she destroyed an earring that I couldn't find for months. She found it and chewed it up, she manages to find stuff we didn't even know was there. You take it away and put it on the dresser, she gets it again. She gets clothes out my clothes basket and chews them up, she chews on the door if I leave her in the room alone, She has a plastic crate with the small holes in the side she managed to pull a pair of my pants in and destroy them. I cannot leave toilet paper next to the toilet it has to be across the room on the counter because she will tear it up. She has chewed thru my moms DS charger, Chewed thru our Vacuum cord. Chewed my laptop charger, She has chewed one of my phone chargers, She has chewed part of my tv remote, It does seem to matter where we put things she gets them no matter what this is why i'm scared to even have a Christmas tree this year because she chews on everything in sight, She even chews on my blanket if I don't make her stop. I know puppies chew but this is getting ridiculous the amount of stuff she has destroyed. I have been taking it away from her and replacing it with one of her MULTIPLE toys and yet she continues to get paper. I think I finally have gotten up all the paper she can get to. and NOPE she finds more and I have no idea where she is getting it.

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
How old is she? Is she teething?

She sounds bored out of her mind. How much mental and physical stimulation does she get/day?

Teach her a solid "leave it" command and be consistent about it. Have her wear her harness around the house and when she starts to chew, tell her to leave it and treat. Be very consistent about what she can chew on (her stuff) and what she can't chew on (your stuff- this includes harness/collar/leash/etc).

·
Registered
893 Posts
She needs more physical and mental exercise to keep her from getting into trouble, or stick to your guns and crate train her. Her chewing behaviour sounds like typical puppy behaviours. There is nothing special about you having to put everything out of reach, it's like that for many puppy owners. I've had a puppy literally chew holes in the wall right down to the insulation. My cats still steal the toilet paper roll if I don't put it up higher and they're 1.5 years old. Sometimes we need to make small changes in our lives for the decisions we make in having pets (either adult dogs, puppies, cats, or kittens). So either you help her get over her boredom and behaviours you don't want or live a life of constant life changes.

·
Banned
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exercise has been hard because he hates it outside, I get her outside and she wants in after she potties I have been working with her since I got her, but she still hates it outside you can sit on the front porch with her and she whines the entire time. I have bought her multiple toys and I play fetch and tug with her all the time and she does her zoomies playing with her toys to try and exercise her inside since she just hates it outside and refuses to go on a walk.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
What about some obedience/tricks? They are very stimulating and should keep her occupied.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Starting crate training now, at least overnight and temporarily while she's teething, sounds necessary at this point. You can't exactly supervise a super teething puppy while you're sleeping after all. :p My Aussie has chewed through the wooden baseboards at multiple areas in my house.

Puppies are puppies, and I agree that she sounds bored out of her mind hahah- if you play fetch and tug with her, you can start playing those games only outside and rarely indoors. That way, she'll learn that she only gets to play when outside, then outside becomes a good thing. And then that opens the potential of training to retrieve in larger fields, and that wears out dogs faster LOL.

Or if she likes treats better, treating her constantly once she steps foot outside.

Out of curiosity, what breed is she?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Has she made any progress with being outside? Working towards being able to give her proper exercise will help tremendously with her behaviours inside. In the meantime, more mental stimulation games to tire her out will also help. Google dog games and you'll see many things that can be made with common things found in the home. You can't give up so easily because then things will get harder to correct as she gets older and engrained in her behaviours.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I agree with the others, she does seem under-stimulated.

She sounds similar to my dog. He was terrified of going outside. It takes a lot of time and patience but I'm sure you can get her comfortable with being outdoors.

You should try making a game out of going outside then coming back in. I would send her outside and immediately call her back. Rinse and repeat while raining treats. Then call her outside and make her run in. Do this just to try to break that initial negative association of being sent outside. Also, always let her go inside if she wants to, don't make her feel trapped. After that I would start rewarding for time and distance spent outside. Maybe try doing some super basic obedience commands right outside the door. My instructor once told me that fearful dogs do a lot better when they are told/shown how to react in certain situations. You want her to start looking to you for guidance and trusting your judgement in certain situations. The best way to do that is to make sure all her experiences with you outside are positive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.