Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 8 month old aussie puppy who has decided to not to eat her food. She is good weight and is full of spunk and runs, plays and eats other things other then what is given. She will maybe take a few bites then leave it. I have a idea that could be it. I think she is playing with me because she knows there is something better. My grandmother use to sneak her tid bites off her plate. So I think she knows there is something better then what she is getting?

I dont know if this could be part of it, but she is peeing more to. I dont know if she is just marking or just having fun. She is not in pain when she goes.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
At 8 months, she might be entering a little bit of her bratty phase. I put the food down, leave it for 15 minutes, and then pick it up. Then put it down for her next meal. She'll eat it, a dog won't starve themselves.

Is she peeing in the house, or just peeing more in general?

·
Registered
3 Posts
When my pug was a puppy, I remember him doing the exact same thing!! He would never eat his kibble...treats- yup, but he wouldn't go anywhere near his dog bowl when it was breakfast or dinnertime. I've read before that dogs would never go off and starve themselves so we just left the bowl there and eventually when he would get hungry enough he would go and eat a bit of it.

We figured that he was probably just waiting for something yummier to come his way!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At 8 months, she might be entering a little bit of her bratty phase. I put the food down, leave it for 15 minutes, and then pick it up. Then put it down for her next meal. She'll eat it, a dog won't starve themselves.

Is she peeing in the house, or just peeing more in general?
Thats what I have been doing for some time now, I normally leave it for 30 mins then if she does not eat it I pick it up.

She is not peeing in the house but outside. She goes then runs for a few then goes again. If we are on the trail she goes, then a few minuets later she goes again. I am not sure if she is coming into her first heat so I will posting something about that in a few.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I do think the peeing could be marking.

For the food, have you tried putting it in a puzzle toy? That might make it more exciting for her - it works well for my fickle terrier mix.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
She may be marking, or she may have a UTI. If she were my dog I'd take her in to get checked, UTI's are not a thing you want to leave.

Also, have you tried changing her food to another kibble? Unfortunately some dogs do get sick of eating the same stuff over and over again. My last dog was always constantly being rotated to a new food because she was so picky. If she is coming into her heat, that also may be why she's being picky.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have tried puzzle toys. She just looks at me like, ha good luck. She is on taste of the wild and use to eat it all the time, no problems. Then out of no were she just didn't want to eat her breakfast anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts