Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

We've had a new puppy for a week now, she's 11 weeks old. We've been trying to raise her as best as we can, but need help with (at least) one issue. She tends to spend most of the time in the living room with us. The problem is, that a lot of the times whenever we're sitting on the couch, she starts jumping up at us and at the couch and biting the cushions, our pants, the blankets etc. We tried ignoring it at first, because I assume that's just her looking for attention, but that resulted in her tearing one of the blankets and also successfully jumping onto the couch at one point (she's already quite big), which makes ignoring this pretty impossible. So the new strategy is to say "down" put her onto the floor, try and get her to sit and praise her when she does. Or distracting her with a toy. Both of those really just make her stop for about 5 seconds.

Does anyone have any better ideas on how to deal with this? I feel like both of our current strategies just reinforce that if she jumps at the couch and bites at us she gets attention... Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
An exercise pen is your friend here, also calming exercises like relax on a mat. Are you enrolled in a puppy class yet?

Unfortunately the reality of a puppy is that until their impulse control is developed nothing and no one is safe from those sharp puppy teeth. They have no off switch. I wish I'd turned to the ex pen sooner, we tried just removing everything but it got rediculous, if not actively supervising we pop echo in and everyone including puppy ends up less stressed.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Also you have to train them to be calm in the pen, by rewarding calm behavior for a long time before they stop jumping at the barrier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts