Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Bella my 14 week old pup to the vet yesterday for a rabies shot parvo shot and flea medicine they prescribed her revolution I put it on her around 6 pm yesterday and she seems to be biting and scratching more then before she eats purina puppy chow which she has been on since I got her and has been doing good on it. What are yalls experience with revolution and why is Bella still so itchy even though I treated her for fleas

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Fleas are tough to get rid of. After you treat her, you'll also have to make sure to wash all of her bedding, and anything she's been on of yours, including your bedding, etc.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
she eats purina puppy chow which she has been on since I got her and has been doing good on it. What are yalls experience with revolution and why is Bella still so itchy even though I treated her for fleas
I would say its the poor quality of the food. Try a higher quality food like Orijen
Check out the difference. Orijen real food purina all junk.
Puppy | Orijen
orijen puppy
Boneless chicken*, chicken meal, chicken liver*, whole herring*, boneless turkey*, turkey meal, turkey liver*, whole eggs*, boneless walleye*, whole salmon*, chicken heart*, chicken cartilage*, herring meal, salmon meal, chicken liver oil, chicken fat,
Purina puppy
Ingredients: Whole grain corn, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of vitamin E), soybean meal, egg and chicken flavor, brewers rice, barley, animal digest

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
There are a lot of variables that could be part of her itching.

Did you wash her before you put the revolution on her? I probably would have done a nice washing with some dish soap to help kill the fleas before putting the revolution on her. Did the vet give you anything like Capstar to help combat the fleas from the inside out? Did you also get some revolution for the other dog in the household? Fleas are not easy to get rid of, you have to treat the dogs, all the bedding, spray down any couches she may get on and treat the carpet. And then in 14 days do it again, because any eggs that were not hatched will hatch and will need to be killed.

Also the food may not be helping. Puppy chow really isn't a good quality food. Maybe look into a better quality food that your budget will allow. There are many options in many different price ranges.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't afford another type of dog food, she has been on this since she started eating dog food and has done just fine, She only starts itching around when her flea medicine wears off. The cheapest in our town is 4 health and I can't even afford that. Its 20$ for a 16 pound bag when she is an adult I plan on putting her on performance which you get at our local bulk grocery store all our big dogs have always been on that its 20$ for a 50 pound bag. Im 100% sure its the flea's and NOT the dog food since she has always been on purina puppy chow and done just fine No capstar all they gave us was revolution

·
Registered
562 Posts
On 07-25-2015, 04:50 PM you wrote:
She didn't have fleas when we took her because I had already treated her she stopped itching for about 2 weeks and started back. Our other dog had fleas until we treated her. My mom plans on treating the house once we get the money it's about 50$ for the house alone. But the yard will be hard cz all the dogs and cats around we have 6 pit bulls 2 chihuahuas a pug a ****zu mix a border collie and a mastiff mix there's also about 30 cats around the neighborhood 5 pit bulls and 20 cats live at one house and they never treat for fleas
...So have you treated your house?

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not yet as we don't have the money needed to buy the stuff we used before at the vet, I don't think she is getting them from inside as we have never seen then or been bitten and our other dog is fine. Its the multiple animals in the neighborhood my neighbors pit run loose and is infested my other neighbor has 5 Pit bulls and over 20 cats Never treated for flea's just going outside gets her covered in flea's because the animals wander into our yard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts