Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old aussie puppy who has decided be a brat and is stealing stuff and chewing it up. I have her outside most of the day as I cant watch her all the time. If anything is in her reach she will steal it and chew it up. I mean not chew it up a little. More like destroy the item. We are also in a rental right now due to the house being worked out. She chewed up the watering lines and I had to spend 4 hours fixing that. I dont know what to do. I cant keep replacing this stuff. I give her all sorts of toys and things to keep her busy. Such as busy bones...etc. But she wont chew on that, she wants to steal stuff and chew up that. I could be anything she wants to steal. It can be glass jars, food, rocks...etc I go out and tell her No, and take away the item and give her her busy bone. Still she does not get it. I have tried putting bitter apple and things and that keeps her away for a short time. However she some how got a hold of the bitter apple and put a hole in it and the of course It drained all out. She will steal her leash and chew that up as well. She also has started to dig holes and is just messing up the yard bad. I use to let her run free in the back yard. But Now I had to chain her up as I can have her chewing up the yard.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
She's bored! If she's outside all day with little human contact or stimulation, of course she's going to be a little stir crazy. Aussies are a high energy breed who need a job, whether it's trick training, agility, etc. Do more with her; walks, fetch, trick training, flirt pole, etc. Work her mind and her body.

Consider bringing her inside as well. If you're worried about not being able to watch her sometimes, crate train her (really crate train, not just throw her in and expect her to be good) and crate her when you can't watch her with a Kong or bone to keep her busy. She definitely needs more exercise, though. She's not getting nearly enough stimulation so she's looking for ways to entertain herself without you.

Try not to take items directly from her, either. You could create a resource guarding issue that way. Play trading games instead -- when she has something, get a really good handful of awesome treats and entice her to drop what you want, then give her the treats. You want her to think giving you things is awesome, not be scared that you're going to take stuff from her. To curb her stealing things now (and I use "steal" lightly as dogs don't have a concept of "mine" vs "yours") just don't let her have access to anything you don't want her to have. Put things out of her reach, tie her away from them, etc. It's easier to prevent than punish.

And as a side note, I'd really look at something else to keep her busy instead of busy bones. There have been a lot of reports about dogs having issues with them and Purina really isn't a great company. Try a bully stick, deer/elk antlers (they sell dog-safe ones) or pig ears/hooves or a nice raw bone (just stay away from weight bearing ones from large animals, like beef legs).

·
Registered
140 Posts
She is showing signs of teething and chewing helps relieve pain.
Frozen filled kongs can help alleviate pain.

"
Between the ages of three months and seven months, a puppy begins to lose its deciduous teeth. Each deciduous tooth root will generally be absorbed by the adult tooth, though there are instances where this does not properly occur. At three months, the incisors begin to fall out to make room for the new adult teeth. At the age of four months, the adult molars and adult canines are beginning to come in. Between the ages of six and seven months, the adult molars will come in. Finally, by seven to eight months, the full set of adult teeth should have come in "

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I dread to think of the mischief my dogs would get up to if I left them with nothing to do in the garden all day! :p

Both my dogs love destroying stuff...toys, paper, cardboard, boxes, towels, beds etc etc. One of them (the one we adopted at 9 months) would resource guard when we tried to take them off him. We taught him (over the course of a few weeks) to drop items when asked; he'd have a sock for example, I'd ask him to drop it and he'd get something much better (usually meat, cheese or a stuffed Kong). We also taught him to fetch items to us, and give us them in return for something better. This is a really fun trick, and useful too - I can ask him to fetch my shoes or, if he steals something from a table, he will bring that to me. Even if he steals something pretty high value (such as a packaging that had food in) he is happy to trade, because he knows he gets lots of treats and ecstatic praise.

I've also found it useful, once he has dropped the 'stolen' item, to toss his rewards a few feet away...this means he has to move away to get them, and he can't gobble them down then snatch the item back up again!! If all else fails (say he has something very high value and I know he won't drop it) we trill "walkies!"...he can't resist this, walks are his favourite thing ever :)

Management plays a huge part. Anything appealing needs to be moved...either into cupboards your pup can't open, onto high shelves, at the back of tables he can't reach etc. There's still gonna be slip ups, so be sure to work on leave / drop / fetch :)

My dogs are also destructive in the house. We crate trained them; they are happy (and safe!) in their crates. We only crate them once they have been exercised, and they get stuffed Kongs (frozen to last longer) and Nylabones to chew. We spent time crate training them, so they came to see the crate as a positive place. Kasper actually had separation anxiety, so we spent over a month getting him acclimatised to the crate...but it works really well for us, and keeps our house intact :thumbsup:

Finally, how much exercise is your pup getting? I know you have to be careful 'cos she's only 6 months, but you can also add some mental stimulation (such as tug, trick / obedience training, hide and seek games) to her walks to help tire her out. We've found 'touch' is a good way to tire our dogs out - you can sit on the couch and have your pup touch your hand with her nose, then throw the treat across the room to reward her...she has to chase after it, then sprint back, touch again etc etc :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She goes on a runs with me and goes to the dog park, I would say maybe a hour total and then a short walk in the evening. So she is getting a lot of body work. I do lots of training with her, tricks and all sorts of things. She is also not house trained. She was then she started to potty in the house again. My trainer told me she sounds like she is in the teenage stage. Where she is finding her limits again. I cant let her run lose in the house. As its a rental and I am worried that she will chew up the super costly stuff in the house. We will not be in are own house till the end of september. Even then she ran around the house like a mad man. Getting into the trash, the litter box....etc Peeing and pooping on the floor. I have a family member who uses a scooter to getting around the house. So keeping her in one room is not something we can do. I want to start working with her in agility. But being in rental can be a problem, as I cant put up weave polls or small jumps. She does know drop it, she is working on leave it as well. That one is a little bad but I know it will get better.

Things she knowns

Sit
Down
Drop it
Spin left
Spin right
Left paw
Right Paw
Fetch
Roll over
Leave it
Heel

She does know a lot. I do know her adult teeth are coming in. I did try giving her a frozen towel to help with her teething. However she did not want it. Is there any home made things that I can make to help with that.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Pax did that in the back yard. Destroy anything he could find...including the new deck! ...But he was and is a perfect angel inside the house...literally have zero worries about him cheating anything when I am home.

Turns out he has isolation anxiety. When he is left alone (not just tied to me) he turns into destruct-o-dog. He is perfectly fine with another person or even another dog, but left alone...he chews up whatever he can find.

More than just being bored, you might have a case of separation and/or isolation anxiety on your hands.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She is fine being outside alone. She plays with her toys and such. I dont think thats it. I have seen dogs with that. My guess is she is young and just thinks the world is her toy ground. Like a lot of puppies think.

·
Registered
906 Posts
She's a herding breed, yeah? Herding breeds are wicked smart and really have a lot of energy - they need to be both smart and energetic in order to do the jobs they're bred to do.

You really are better off having her in the house. She will not learn proper house manners out in the yard. When she is in the house, she should be either supervised so she can't get into stuff-she-shouldn't, or she should be crated - and as someone else suggested, properly crate-trained, not just tossed into a crate and door shut on her.

If you feel you must leave her in the yard while you are at work or something, then get her a kennel -- it'll keep her from destroying the entire yard.

How long in total would you say you spend with her every day?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She is create trained. However i cant let me in the house. I tried today and the sec i turned my eyes off her she chewed up the corner of a chair. I spend well over 5 hours a day with her. I go hiking with her. Trick training. All sorts of things. I also have two cats who are super scared of her. My one cat could care less the other two hiss and all that fun stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
You have to be extra diligent. Pick up everything you can that is enticing to her, but forbidden.

You may have to tether her to you while she's inside so that she can't just slip away unnoticed. This won't last forever, but will help tremendously in the long run.

Have you tried a frozen Kong? Stuff it with peanut butter and other goodies - I've found they're a lot more enticing than a plain old bone. I love the Kong Wobbler too.

Head over to YouTube and check out Kikopup's video on capturing calmness, that could come in handy for you as well.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
My aussie is also going through a stealing phase, but its just been taking things out of the trash or stealing paper towels off the table from my parents (they are not good at paying attention and remembering to keep the doors closed). But part of it comes from not being able to get as much exercise as normal do to having a rather hot and humid summer preventing us from going out as much.
As others have said, prevention is a big part of it. If you know she likes to take certain things, keep them out of her reach and or closed. Frozen kongs as others have said, are a great way to distract your dog. Or even toys that dispense treats/yummy things.
(sorry if you already answered this and I missed it), how long is she in the garden by herself?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I swear some herding dogs are hell on wheels in the puppy phase. Callie would steal things, chew things and you know how people tell you "puppies sleep a lot" - that was a total lie when it came to Callie, she would sleep for maybe 5 minutes and be back to causing mischief straight after.
I had to be super on-to-it and I had everything out of her reach, lots of kongs, frozen things in general for her to chew on. If I couldn't watch her, she was leashed to me (I didn't have a crate at the time, I went with a play pen which she just moved around as she pleased).

Now a days, at almost 2, yeah she is ball obsessed, persistent as all hell but the only thing she destroys is her toys (soft toys don't last because she loves tug and they get ripped apart and then she destuffs them and balls fall apart easily).

In comparison, Pip hasn't chewed a thing and she's almost 6 months, mostly done with teething (she has a double canine currently but everything else is mostly adult teeth). She's been a breeze in comparison.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would say she is in the back yard for around 4+ hours just depending on what I have to do. I am so worried about bringing her into the house because of all of costly rental things here. I dont want to have to be charged for a 1000 fee because she chewed up something. The wool carpet is costly enough as it is. Normally she is with me, when i do horse work or other garen work on the house that is being worked on now. This summer here has also been super bad. Lots of rain and super hot weather. So I do have a kiddy pool in the back yard for her and I hear her splashing around in that all that time. Some times I just have so much to do I cant watch her all the time. I hope to be back into my house by the end of september.

I do plan in freezing some kongs for her. It sounds like a good idea and with this hot weather a nice treat. I hope she calms down a bit. I know my friends aussie was a brat when she was little then mellowed out as she got older.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts