Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy, Moco, was adopted from the humane society not long ago, and when we took her to our vet for the first time, he told us that she was too small to spay, so we waited a few months, and her appointment to get spayed was today. Due to some odd circumstances, we didn't get her in on time, and just as I was calling to reschedule for Monday... my mom noticed that she was in heat!
We talked to the vet, and he suggested waiting until she went out of heat to get her spayed, and told us that we should get her a doggie diaper so she doesn't make a mess.
Anyway, onto my question: Is there anything else I should be doing while she's in heat? :confused: We've never had a dog around for very long that wasn't fixed. I know, obviously, to not let her near unneutered males, though. :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely need to watch her... the guy down the road from us has a German Shepard that's not fixed, and it always gets out and runs free when he's out of town. Well, guess who's out of town for the next few weeks. :-/
How long does a dog usually stay in heat, anyway? She's a Basenji/terrier mix, if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I definitely need to watch her... the guy down the road from us has a German Shepard that's not fixed, and it always gets out and runs free when he's out of town. Well, guess who's out of town for the next few weeks. :-/
How long does a dog usually stay in heat, anyway? She's a Basenji/terrier mix, if that makes a difference.
she'll only bleed for about a week, but they are still fertile for two or so weeks after the bleeding. So keep on eye on her for the next 20-30 days to be safe.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts