Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, when do puppies begin humping? My 5 month old corgi not only hasn't started teething yet (losing baby teeth) but he also never humped once in his life so far. That's perfectly normal right?

My friends puppies started humping at 10 weeks. Other puppies started around that time too. They were all talking about the "oh no it begins!" humping stage but I found myself left out because mine hasn't started it or never did.

People from dog park and puppy class say it's because he is very well stimulated and exercised (2 hours of physical and mental activity daily split into two sessions) so he never needed a reason to. I'm not sure how true that is.

His baby teeth is still intact too. He's almost 6 months and I don't think they've fallen out yet to be replaced with normal doggie teeth. It worries me sometimes because he looks weird with his baby needle like teeth, but has a big dog body already. It looks out of place haha

Is he a late bloomer?

I also wholeheartedly regret not naming my dog Pancake and giving in to what my husband wanted. He acts like a Pancake. ;)

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Oh, he's so cute!

I think it totally depends on the dog. Chisum started humping a little before he was a year old. He doesn't hump objects, just air really. He was neutered very young by the rescue (before 8 weeks) so I'm not sure if that made him a "late bloomer" as well. ;)

I don't think it's good or bad when/if your dog starts humping. Honestly, I think it would be easier if he never did, though that may not be terribly realistic!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Plenty of dogs never do. None of mine have even once. It's not a problem at all, in fact it's probably a good thing. It's generally caused by overexcitement and not knowing what else to do, or unneutered males do it sexually of course.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My previous dog never humped. The Husky we have now does when he is overstimulated/overexcited. Not something I like, per se.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Levi never humped, and was SO late to lose his baby teeth. I think it is very dependent on the dog. Maybe it's a herding group thing? ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts