Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. We have a 3 month old male whippet puppy, Truffles. We are training him to use puppy pads (like newspapers) in the guest bathroom for his business (we live in a high-rise in a big city and this is the best option for us). He understands just fine that is where he is supposed to go (he figured it out in 3 days only). The problem is that if he poops there and we don't pick it up within like 2 minutes, he decides to tear the puppy pad out of the shower and he pees like 2 feet away away from the pad (on his bedding!). He does this whether we are there or not (we confine him to the guest bath with a baby-gate when not able to watch him, which isn't more than maybe 2 or 3 hours total per day). I yell "no!" if I catch him doing it and direct him to a toy, and I have sprayed that bitter stuff on the corners occasionally, but what else can I do? His poop is very stinky, is he just a clean-freak? (Whippets often are...) Usually he leaves the pads alone when there is just pee. What do we do?

(I will note that before 16 weeks they don't have all their vaccinations, so he can't go potty or take walks on the street yet- he only goes outside in a doggie shoulder bag which he loves doing).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem with litter is that I don't want him to track it through the apartment. Or eat it (he eats dust, hair, or anything else on the floor like it's a biscuit). There is also the option of these "potty park" plastic trays with fake grass on top, but cleaning it seems a bit gross and inconvenient. Most people around here use newspapers (I live in Sao Paulo, where most people indoor-potty train their dogs not just for convenience, but because often it is not safe for a girl and her dog on the street at 3am). But although you can scratch up the papers without problem, newspapers don't absorb either the pee nor the odor, they are just used because they are free(ish). Any other ideas?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.