Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. We have a 3 month old male whippet puppy, Truffles. We are training him to use puppy pads (like newspapers) in the guest bathroom for his business (we live in a high-rise in a big city and this is the best option for us). He understands just fine that is where he is supposed to go (he figured it out in 3 days only). The problem is that if he poops there and we don't pick it up within like 2 minutes, he decides to tear the puppy pad out of the shower and he pees like 2 feet away away from the pad (on his bedding!). He does this whether we are there or not (we confine him to the guest bath with a baby-gate when not able to watch him, which isn't more than maybe 2 or 3 hours total per day). I yell "no!" if I catch him doing it and direct him to a toy, and I have sprayed that bitter stuff on the corners occasionally, but what else can I do? His poop is very stinky, is he just a clean-freak? (Whippets often are...) Usually he leaves the pads alone when there is just pee. What do we do?

(I will note that before 16 weeks they don't have all their vaccinations, so he can't go potty or take walks on the street yet- he only goes outside in a doggie shoulder bag which he loves doing).

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
He is trying to bury his poop, it's a perfectly natural instinct, please don't yell at him, he will have no idea why as he's just doing what comes naturally to him. Ideally he would be learning to toilet outside, but I realise your restrictions on this. Even if you pick up within a nano second of him pooping, he may still do it :eek:

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
He may be simply trying to clean after himself. Don't yell at him, as he could begin to think that he is being punished for any number of things (using his pad, being in the bathroom, being around his poop, etc).

Amongst mom and littermates it is quite common for the mother to eat the poop, so thank goodness he hasn't considered that! Many puppies will. Have you considered litter-training him? That way he can kick sand over top of it, effectively stifling the smell.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
I was going to suggest the litter box but Kelly528 beat me to it. An added benefit is it'll probably be cheaper for you in the long run. If you do try it wait until he's older, and you can be sure that he won't try and eat the litter, before trying the clumpable type of litter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem with litter is that I don't want him to track it through the apartment. Or eat it (he eats dust, hair, or anything else on the floor like it's a biscuit). There is also the option of these "potty park" plastic trays with fake grass on top, but cleaning it seems a bit gross and inconvenient. Most people around here use newspapers (I live in Sao Paulo, where most people indoor-potty train their dogs not just for convenience, but because often it is not safe for a girl and her dog on the street at 3am). But although you can scratch up the papers without problem, newspapers don't absorb either the pee nor the odor, they are just used because they are free(ish). Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
It isn't unusual for a dog to not want to be up and near their poo,my dog will go out of his way to avoid his. Not much to do except clean it up and give them plenty of space to go bathroom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If he's peeing on his bedding you should make sure you're cleaning it properly because simply washing it doesn't usually work as dogs obviously have a very good sense of smell. My puppy would continuously pee on his bedding after I washed it and I didn't know why until I realized he could probably smell his pee still even though I could not. I highly recommend getting a product called Natures Miracle - Urine Destroyer and spraying his bedding (I usually wash it regularly then spray afterwards) and anywhere else he has accidents. Make sure you follow the instructions properly and do not wipe any of it up and let it dry naturally because it won't work if you don't. I've been using this for quite a while now and my puppy never pees on her bedding anymore she's very clean just like your dog.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Perhaps making separated spaces for the puppy pads in the shower area would be worth a try. Some sort of low barrier that he could easily jump over. Put pads on both sides and maybe he'll choose to leave the pads with poop alone and use the other side for pee. If he still shreds the poopy pads maybe he'll use the other side for peeing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts