Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old goldendoodle puppy that I brought home last week. She had diarrhea yesterday so I gave her 250mg of Metronidazole in the morning and at night. The breeder had sent me home with some just incase she had an upset stomach. Anyways now she hasn't pooped since yesterday at 10:00am. Should I take her to the vet? She is passing a little bit of gas as well.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'm really not sure why your breeder would prescribe that for diarrhea caused by stress or change of diet. Usually it's prescribed to treat diarrhea caused by Giardia or a bacterial infection of the gut. Please take your new puppy to the vet and have him do a through check-up, if you haven't already done so, just in case it's not a simple upset stomach.

I'd give her two tablespoons of canned 100% pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling). Pumpkin helps with both constipation and diarrhea in dogs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took her to the vet the first day I got her. They did a full exam including a fecal. Everything showed that she was perfectly healthy. I'm going to give the vet a call now.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I took her to the vet the first day I got her. They did a full exam including a fecal. Everything showed that she was perfectly healthy. I'm going to give the vet a call now.

Pumpkin should help, just be careful not to give to much or you may end up back with diarrhea.

Did you change her food, or give her some type of new treats or chews? All of that can cause diarrhea.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
If she is passing gas, she is not blocked, a good thing. Give her until tomorrow, then a Vet exam would probably be in order.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts