Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I’ve had my 14 week old puppy Nova for 3.5 weeks now. When we first got her she was due immediately for her second lots of vaccinations. She threw up after the vet visit and yesterday’s we went for her third lot and she threw up again during the night. The vomit was a small amount, no blood or mucus but actually the treats the vet gave Nova. We have her last shots in four weeks and I might ask the vet not to use the treats they have there and bring my own from home (which I did anyway). She doesn’t normally have a sensitive stomach and she also doesn’t get overly nervous or overly excited at the vet.

As a new puppy owner this was truly heartbreaking for me but she was back to normal within an hour after the vomiting (usually had a sleep and then back to play and normal self).

I also phoned the vet and they said to watch her and if it doesn’t happen again it should be okay, so I haven’t taken any further action.

It made me wonder if this could also be a reaction to the vaccinations? I will still get them done obviously but I wonder if I could do anything else next time to prevent her from feeling ill?

Thank you for reading my post.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hi again. How is your Nova puppy doing today? Is she feeling any better? Hope so!!!

I have heard of dogs having reactions to vaccines (and to flea treatments) but I personally have not experienced this with any of my dogs.

Sometimes I think the vets give too much at one time, like the vaccines and the dewormer and then on top of that flea treatment. Way too much all at once, esp for young lil dogs. I usually ask if I can space stuff out when possible. Like I usually give heartworm meds a week apart from flea meds when we were using those.

I hope that Nova is feeling much better now!!!

She has such a sweet face, beautiful little dog!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions, but the vet appointments were both only for vaccinations. I do the flea and worm treatment in other weeks for that very reason.

Thank you she was back to normal the next morning and hasn’t thrown up since. I think next time I will ask them not give her those treats and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn’t it might be the vaccinations.

Also saw your post on the other thread where I put photos up, she reminds me of a lab too. She has a sweet nature, loves to snuggle, very obedient and loves learning and practicing her commands. I try and incorporate them in games for her. So happy I’ve been wanting a dog for a few years but we had to wait for the right circumstances. Was definitely worth the wait.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Help!!!

Nova threw up at 4am but it wasn’t food coming up, just stomach fluid/foamy and just a little bit and then she had a normal poo and after that diaorrhea. I haven’t changed her food and she hasn’t eaten anything that she doesn’t usually eat. She did eat a part of one if her chew toys though and it came out in the poo 😑

She went back to sleep after and seems to be normal this morning. I haven only given her water so far because I’m not sure if I should wait until later to feed her. But she’s hungry of course 😑 the throwing up with no food also happened the night before 🤨

I wonder if I should phone the vet tomorrow and make an appointment to get her checked.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
My rule is if it's both ends a vet visit is called for. They'll give you any advice you need and the reassurance that Nova has been checked out.

Happened a few times when Echo was a pup, a check up, some easy to digest foot and monitoring was all that was needed. Good luck with Nova!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nova seems totally normal (drinking water, playing,napping etc), she had a little food (I started with a small portion for lunch and she’ll have a small portion for dinner). She has kept all her food and fluids down so far and has a normal appetite.

I will still phone the vet tomorrow morning when they’re open and make an appointment for a check up.

·
Registered
522 Posts
One of my dogs got a little bit sick after vaccines too. It's one of those cases where you might want to space them out. Did you give some of the optional vaccines? I think that's what messed mine up (lupo or something).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay thank you.

I have to go to the vet this morning to get her checked out as she threw up a spoonful of food again this morning.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Phew, vet visit went well... The lovely vet thoroughly examined her. No temperature, no distended tummy, no obvious blockages or any other signs that she is seriously unwell or in pain.

They put her on nausea medication for three days which should prevent any further vomiting. Also gave us some food for three days that's really easily digestible for her tummy. She has had no further vomiting and normal bowl movements. She was super happy at the vet and after her first lot of meds and food and plenty of water, she's asleep in her crate. Luckily my boss allowed me to work from home today to watch her and tomorrow I've got a short day at work and my husband has the morning/early arvo off :) all sorted hopefully. Thanks for everyones help.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of my dogs got a little bit sick after vaccines too. It's one of those cases where you might want to space them out. Did you give some of the optional vaccines? I think that's what messed mine up (lupo or something).
I'm not sure, I'm in NZ and might be a bit different here as to whats optional? I think the only one that she's had additionally was for the kennel cough and that was given together with the other shots. My vet spaces it out 3-4weeks apart depending on what was given.

·
Registered
851 Posts
What flea treatment are you using with Nova?

I have been studying about Nexguard and a few others and many of those have nasty side effects similar to what Nova is having, even way after the treatment is applied or given. Sometimes even weeks later, scary.

I'm betting this is not the case with you, but still thought I would bring it up just in case since I keep reading about similar symptoms.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My old horse has had bad reactions to some vaccines so only gets one at a time. My dog with food allergies throws up from heart guard and has to take sentinel for heartworm prevention instead. He also gets sick and very bad diarrhea from any chicken or peanut butter.
So it could be the vaccines. Or eating the part of the toy and foamy vomit can be symptoms of a minor blockage so it's good you saw the vet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AthenaLove - At the moment she has a puppy safe flea collar, not sure of the brand, but she's had that for 6 weeks now.

Shadowmom - Thank you for your input. Nova hasn't had any symptoms since Monday morning (that's when I took her to the vet and she started the medication). She finished the medication today, so will see in the next 1-2 days if she is still alright with her little tummy.

I have sorted out her toys and got better quality chew toys for more persistent chewers, so this doesn't happen again.

I've also looked into this to have at home if she gets sick again on a weekend https://k9essentials.co.nz/online/shop/dogs/health-coat-supplements/tagiwig-stomachtonic-25ml/

Has anyone tried something similar? I'm unsure of the ingredients.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm glad Nova's okay!

Laurel is very little and has vaccine issues. It's better to space them out and it's hard not to beat yourself up when it's YOUR puppy who winds up being a statistic.

The more we know, the safer we can make our vaccines, though. Children in the US routinely received a "live" pertussis vaccine as recently as the early '90s. It was much more dangerous than the one we have now. I had to sign a bunch of waivers to get my vaccine-sensitive kid into the program for testing the "new Japanese vaccine" instead of just leaving him unimmunized but I'm glad I took the chance.

That's how medicine progresses. We need to do the same with our dogs. The final parvo shot made my dog itch to the point that she might be on meds for the rest of her life. But if she hadn't been vaccinated, she would not have a life.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for your reply. Yeah I’m a little bit nervous about the next vet visit/last shot. But unfortunately we really need to immunise her especially the area we are in had a big parvo out break last year.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought I'd give a little update. After Nova's vomiting cleared up, it went the other way! She was constipated, so she pooped less and it was rock hard and I could see it was hard for her to 'get it out'. I added a little bit of homemade pumpkin mash and apple cider vinegar to her meals and the constipation cleared up a little bit, but still not 100% better.

When I checked her poop through the plastic bag, I noticed there were hard, crystal like pieces in it. I knew she had no toy like that and also had been watching her like a hawk, so I could assume she hadn't eaten anything in the house/yard.

The only thing with that consistency she had frequent access to was her edible, puppy-friendly Nyla bone.

I'm 99.9% sure her digestive problems were caused by not being able to properly digest that bone and/or not chewing it properly and just swallowing it.

Since then I chucked the bone out and all her issues have completely resolved :) showed me that just because it says its puppy friendly/age appropriate, doesn't mind it's good for your individual puppy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts