Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help! My puppy has swamp butt! Sorry for the brutally graphic description, but I don't know what else to call it. He is a Shorkie named Boris, and he is eating like a Great Dane! My boyfriend (who is chronically unemployed) stays home with him all day, every day and God only knows what he is feeding him. He denied feeding him anything other than his puppy chow, but I woke up at 4am today to the most wretched, awful little sounds coming from my 1.5 pound puppy. When I peeked into his dog hut (a home made treat for our boy), I saw the remains of a Funyons bag AND three WHOLE Doritos sticking out from underneath Boris's over-sized donut chew toy. And little Boris had the look of agony in his eyes when I picked him up and took him outside to tinkle.

I noticed that he kept squatting, and the look on his face looked like he was hurting really bad and trying really hard to get stuff out, but nothing ever came out! I wondered what was happening, and I noticed this foul stench coming out of him somewhere. I looked at his little bum and saw poo sticking half way out of him! I am SO sorry for this awful post, but I didn't know where else to go with this information. I tried to wipe him up a little, but now it's all crusted into his fur on his hiney!

Any words of advice? Please?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,437 Posts
I'd give him a gentle bath in warm water to clean his bottom. If he continues to strain or has frequent diarrhea with or without vomiting, I'd see a vet. If Boris has access to foods he shouldn't eat, fix that. If you believe your boyfriend is feeding him inappropriate foods, rehome the boyfriend if you can't train him to stop. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
556 Posts
Those Funyuns are onion right?Onions can be toxic to dogs,just watch him and call the vet to see what they say,they might want to see him.Poor baby.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,760 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! Yeah, it sounds like you need to have a talk with your boyfriend about not feeding your puppy and keeping all human food away from him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,885 Posts
Poor guy. If he seems constipated you can try feeding him a bit of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) to help things along again. Make sure he drinks enough fluids if he's having diarrhoea. Keep a close eye on him and take him to the vet if he can't keep food down or if the runs don't clear up within another day or so of normal eating.

And have a stern, stern, stern talk with your boyfriend about feeding him. Tell him that he's hurting the dog, because that is what he is doing. Hopefully after seeing the puppy in so much pain this time he will smarten up. Inquire accusingly if he'd feed a baby doritos, because, again, that is what he is doing: putting spicy, harsh foods into an immature digestive system that won't even handle that crap well in adulthood.

And if he persists... Bring him a latte laced with ex-lax and tell him you just thought he'd like a treat!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Those Funyuns are onion right?Onions can be toxic to dogs,just watch him and call the vet to see what they say,they might want to see him.Poor baby.

This. I about had a panic attack when I saw Funyuns listed as something eaten by a tiny 1.5 lbs puppy. It's just as bad as chocolate. On a puppy that small...oh dear lord.

I'd take him to the vet ASAP, especially if he displays more signs of pain and discomfort.

EDIT: I researched Funyuns ingredient list, and they aren't full onions (never knew this, as I don't eat them). They are corn meal based with lots of onion and garlic powder to give them the "onion ring" flavor. So, it might not be as detrimental to the digestive system as a regular onion would be. But both garlic and onion are toxic for dogs, so I'd still be on the look out for any signs of discomfort and pain. You can always call your vet and ask about what they would recommend. One time Rhea ate an entire box of mini pumpkin and chocolate chip muffins (paper around the muffin included), we called the vet and they had us bring her in, but just gave us this charcoal paste to squeeze into her mouth every few hours or so. It never hurts to just call and ask, though.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top